Oh woe is me! This problem is just going on and on and nothing I do can solve it!
Everytime I boot up, explorer.exe has a fit and has an error, and/or I get a message popping up saying that "The instruction at "xxxxxxxxxxx" referenced memory at "xxxxxxxxx". The memory could not be "written" Click ok to terminate the program" - What program?! I cannont access ANY of my folders, but CAN sometimes click on the startbar to access some software. ANNOYING!!!!

Checked for spyware - nada
Checked for virus infection - nada
Checked for dodgy microsoft programming - probably!

Have reinstalled windows - no joy
Have SP4 installed and sp2 for ie6 (although I use firefox)

please please help!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You could start by removing any free software you might have installed. What are you using to check for spyware? This problem is probably related to spyware; there is a section here on Daniweb called "Security" where you may be able to find more help on this.

:) Thanks, but I seem to have got it sorted - fingers crossed! Had done a spybot and ad-aware search, as well as a norton virus check AND online check (cant remember which!), but all resulted in a blank. Was then searching explorer in search - and found 3! two were legit, in win32 and sp4 folders - fine. The third was sat in the root of D:\ - wierd. So deleted it, and all appears fine! Hope this helps anyone else who discovers this problem!

Thanks again- Hope I dont have to pop back soon all green faced!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.