Hi guys, Have helped a friend set up bigpond wireless gateway and found her pc is not wireless enabled so we used the netgear wireless adapter supplied but this would not work either, finally we had to use the ethernet cable to get connection. Is anyone able to tell me if I need a wireless card or maybe drivers to get it up and running, any help would be great.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Hi
In order for a wireless connection to work you going to need a wireless network card, a Network Access Point (NAP) and a Service Provider.

You then obviously gonna need the drivers for the wireless card and depending on you're Service Provider you going to do some basic configuration with regards to your wireless settings.

You can contact any good Service Provider for more information on this.

as suggested by sittas87 you should have a wireless network access point, but anyway just want to ask what you really mean by it cannot work...

i just supposed that you already have a wireless NAP... so you mean by it cannot work you were not able to connect to the Access Point or what? any specific errors?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"The taller the bamboo grows the lower it bends"

as suggested by sittas87 you should have a wireless network access point, but anyway just want to ask what you really mean by it cannot work...

i just supposed that you already have a wireless NAP... so you mean by it cannot work you were not able to connect to the Access Point or what? any specific errors?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"The taller the bamboo grows the lower it bends"

yes we have a wireless server, the error message was " this Pc is not wireless enabled" when we connected the ethernet cable it connected but we have two pc's which is why we went with wireless gateway. We took the tower to a computer shop to get a wireless card installed and he said we didnt need one and that the wireless adapter didnt work because it needed drivers, so I installed drivers again but it still would not recognise the adapter.
thanks for your help.

When you go to Device manager do you see any yellow exclamation marks ? Or when you go to Device Manager and click the Network Devices plus + sign to display the device underneath it what do you see.

To get to Device Manager:
Right click My Computer>click on Manage>In the left pane double click Device Manager.

Make and model of the PC?
RTFM.

When you go to Device manager do you see any yellow exclamation marks ? Or when you go to Device Manager and click the Network Devices plus + sign to display the device underneath it what do you see.

To get to Device Manager:
Right click My Computer>click on Manage>In the left pane double click Device Manager.

There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device manager and under Network Devices I have :
1 1394 Netadapter
2 intel R 82566 DC GB Network connection
Not sure what make and model is as this is a friends pc who had it built about 3 years ago.

You don't have a wireless adapter.
You can either buy one, or get the Netgear device working.
What's the model of the Netgear device?

There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device manager and under Network Devices I have :
1 1394 Netadapter
2 intel R 82566 DC GB Network connection
Not sure what make and model is as this is a friends pc who had it built about 3 years ago.

,the 1394 is a firewire net conector of sorts check answer here [The simple answer is

A 1394 Net Adaptor ...
The simple answer is

A 1394 Net Adaptor Connection is basically Win2k/XP's way of telling you that you have a Firewire interface installed in your system.

IEEE 1394 is more commonly known as Firewire and is mostly used to connect to peripherals such as digital cameras, camcorders and some external hard drives. It can also be used to network two Firewire-equipped systems together, achieving 12.5 to 50MBps transfer speeds. Firewire networking use is limited because of its 15ft cable length limitation.]

and the intel R82566 is the wired onboard device ,as hughv said neither are wireless devices

You don't have a wireless adapter.
You can either buy one, or get the Netgear device working.
What's the model of the Netgear device?

Hi, the model of the Netgear is WG 111v2

This looks very straightforward.
Install the software from the CD, then insert the card and follow the prompts. You'll need to know what kind of encryption you have, the key, and the SSID.
What problems were you having?
The documentation is here:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2569

Hi
Make sure you have the right drivers for your Hardware (Wireless Adapter)
If you have the correct software for the for the Wireless Card then it should work. Wireless is relatively easy.

Hi
Make sure you have the right drivers for your Hardware (Wireless Adapter)
If you have the correct software for the for the Wireless Card then it should work. Wireless is relatively easy.

Thank you all very much for your help, its great to have this site available with so many people willing to pass on their knowledge.

Thank you all very much for your help, its great to have this site available with so many people willing to pass on their knowledge.

Does this mean you have solved the problem?

Does this mean you have solved the problem?

yes problem solved. thanks again.

Do you mind sharing with the rest how this problem was resolved?

Regards
Sids

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.