I'm working on a Win2M machine, 400MHz, 138l megs RAM.

For some reason it won't see a new HD (80 megs), but putting it in another machine it's recognized and seen. I haven't a clue; ideas anyone?
Thanks,
BuddyB

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I'm working on a Win2M machine, 400MHz, 138l megs RAM.

For some reason it won't see a new HD (80 megs), but putting it in another machine it's recognized and seen. I haven't a clue; ideas anyone?
Thanks,
BuddyB

Check these things:

Pins on the back: is it set to:

Master
Slave
Cable Select
32GB Clip
No Pins at all?

Next:
Check to see if the ribbon cable has been properly connected, make sure it is not upside down, if it is correct. try swapping it for another one

Next:
Check the BIOS. use the auto find HDD(hard disk drive) feature to see if it detects it. there could be a problem with the mobo itself(ive had this happen before. actually just recently one of my serial ports on my mobo burned out...no clue how) so it isnt detecting it (when doing the auto-detect, check to see if it even finds the landing zone, if its all blank, then something isnt plugged in correctly, but if it gets a landing zone, then it see's somthing but it just doesnt know what it is)

More often than not its a bios thing that you need to check, sometimes you forget to set it to autodetect, and its set to not installed so it doesnt look for anything (very common mistake)

Many of those older machines are not compatible with hard disks larger than 32GB. Check the documentation that came with the hard drive to see if there is a jumper setting to limit the size to 32GB.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.