Everytime I open Outlook 2007, I get a message that says the following:

Internet Security Warning
The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified. The target principal name is incorrect. Do you want to continue using this server?

Here's the info on the certificate...
Issued to: imap.aol.com
Issued by: AOL Member CA
Valid from 3/19/2009 to 3/19/2011

It says that All the intended purposes of this certificate could not be verified.

In addition I also get this message in the system tray when I bring up Outlook:
A data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for problems. Performance might be affected while the check is in progress.

When I click to continue from the certificate problem, this message goes away.

This just started happening a little over a month ago (looks around the same start date this certificate was issued for.

Thanks,
John

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Have a look at your IE security settings level and see if there's a custom setting that might cause the alert you are receiving. As I'm sure you know, Outlook is closely aligned to Internet Explorer.

On the Data Files business, I have the same problem which I can't solve. I suspect it's an add-in that is mis-behaving but can't prove it without wasting a lot of time.

Maybe you have an AOL add-in. You can examine this in Outlook's Trust Centre; you can turn it off and see if the proble(s) go away.

Let us know.

Suspishio - Outlook is not tied to IE, Outlook Express is.

Mickeybr - have you accepted the optional update in Windows for Root Certificate updates? Maybe something's changed in AOL's certificate signer?

As to the Outlook data file - do you have a large store of messages? It might be possible that one of the data files is so large it's gotten corrupted. (I had similar problem in Outlook express when files get over 1GB)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.