New User so don't blame me for my totally un-technical terms!
At the moment using Windows 2000 instead of 98
My toshiba 1620 has got a ghost or something. My Accupoint mouse in the middle of the keyboard has taken to moving randomly up and down the screen and then will suddenly stop. I have a USB mouse to plug in and that seems to help it a little but as the mouse on the keyboard is the dominant mouse, always overrides it.
I have tried uninstalling the mouse and everytime i reboot, it has reinstalled it.
I have tried removing the drivers (mouclass.sys and i8042prt.sys) from system32 but again, these reinstall themselves and therefore the accupoint mouse.
At the moment, i am uninstalling the mouse then removing the drivers everytime i shut down just to have an easier time with my computer!
I've heard you can uninstall connections from the motherboard to the keyboard or something. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I really don't mind if the accupoint doesn't work anymore!

Thanks in advance Jess7015

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi ,Welocme to Daniweb ,sorry for the delay .I don't really have an answer ,as I don't know a lot about laptops ,but am thinking maybe there is something in the Bios to disable it or maybe in Device manager ,if you right ckick on the entry for the pointer is there something there to disable the Accupoint mouse .
I just found this with a google search
quote!
Subject: Drifting Accupoint Mouse
Ever wonder why does the Accupoint Mouse periodically drift? Well here is the answer.
Solution:

Self-Calibration. (Accupoint Mouse) It is normal for the mouse cursor to occasionally drift for 5 to 10 seconds. It will stop on its own when the calibration is complete. The Accupoint periodically performs this function on its own. This is normal. Wait until the movement stops, allow the Accupoint to run it's recalibration process (usually 5 to 10 seconds).

NOTE: Fighting the cursor movement only prolongs the process. Possible Hardware Problem (All Mice): If the mouse cursor drifts persistently for as long as a minute or two, and then resists your efforts to reposition it then you may have a hardware issue requiring service.

Caution: Allowing your finger to rest on the Accupoint button may cause the mouse to begin the recalibration process.

Thanks for the help, i'll give the 'waiting' a try as i always try and fight it!
I'll let you know if it works
Jess7015

Thanks for the help, i'll give the 'waiting' a try as i always try and fight it!
I'll let you know if it works
Jess7015

Since I've been searching the web for an answer to this problem for the Toshiba Satellite Pro 6050 and didn't find one, I probably should leave my solution somewhere. So...

The rename-the-device-driver trick that can be found on the internet does not work for me; I renamed the i85something.dll and mousomething.dll, but they were restored. So I tried booting in safe mode and created an empty file with the same name (after all, you cannot use a corrupt driver) and was able to disable the device, but the accupoint kept sending random movement info to the mouse.

In a last attempt, I decided to physically disconnect the internal keyboard and use an external (hoping the laptop would accept that). This in fact is very simple: there is a small strip immediately above the keyboard that can be popped out use a fingernail and then there are two screws. After that the keyboard can be tilted lose and there is a flat connector ribbon from the keyboard to the mainboard. The connector itself has some small latches on the side that can be lifted; in the closed position it squeezes the ribbon to hold it into place.

When I disconnected the keyboard, the laptop booted ok with no accupoint interference. Great! Then I noticed that the flat ribbon in fact had two connectors -a wider and a smaller one- joined at the end by a piece of plastic. The smaller one could either be the power or just maybe the accupoint. Since I wasn't planning on using the keyboard (I assumed that tampering with the ribbon, might damage it beyond repair, but since that didn't matter), I decided to use a piece of sticky tape to isolate the connectors of the smaller part of the ribbon and reinsert it (remember to lift the connector in order to do so).

And look at that! One working keyboard without accupoint interference on the mouse.

hi you need to go into setup in the computer bios and disable onboard pointing device. to get into bios when you first turn on computer at bottom of screen will say press a key to enter setup. when you press this key you will get into bios. in bios go to periferals and look for onboard pointing device .

When I disconnected the keyboard, the laptop booted ok with no accupoint interference. Great! Then I noticed that the flat ribbon in fact had two connectors -a wider and a smaller one- joined at the end by a piece of plastic. The smaller one could either be the power or just maybe the accupoint. Since I wasn't planning on using the keyboard (I assumed that tampering with the ribbon, might damage it beyond repair, but since that didn't matter), I decided to use a piece of sticky tape to isolate the connectors of the smaller part of the ribbon and reinsert it (remember to lift the connector in order to do so).

And look at that! One working keyboard without accupoint interference on the mouse.

Thanks man for tip! I also tried everything on software side, but no success, so i opened my Toshiba Portege 4010 and just put sticky tape around those small connector. Keyboard is working, accupoint doesn't and usb mouse WORKS!! Thank you!

Found tutorial how to disassembly my laptop here: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba4010/portege4010_1.htm

I have had the same problem with my Portege M100, the solution I found was the same as "mkecman" by using "SELLOTAPE". Assuming that the Toshiba keyboards are all built in pretty much the same way this is a great low tech solution.

Unscrew the keyboard to access the keyboard ribbon, on the M100 keyboard you will be able to see two distinct lines of cabling. The smaller, 5-6 lines, part of the of cable are for the accupoint II and the left and right click buttons. By placing tape over this you will affectively remove the ability for the accupoint II to communicate with the laptop, thus, disabling it.

Having done that, the USB mouse will be the only devise seeking to operate the laptop mouse and therefore work perfectly well.

I have had the same problem with my Portege M100, the solution I found was the same as "mkecman" by using "SELLOTAPE". Assuming that the Toshiba keyboards are all built in pretty much the same way this is a great low tech solution.

Unscrew the keyboard to access the keyboard ribbon, on the M100 keyboard you will be able to see two distinct lines of cabling. The smaller, 5-6 lines, part of the of cable are for the accupoint II and the left and right click buttons. By placing tape over this you will affectively remove the ability for the accupoint II to communicate with the laptop, thus, disabling it.

Having done that, the USB mouse will be the only devise seeking to operate the laptop mouse and therefore work perfectly well.

I fixed my issue with this by going to:
Control Panel
Mouse
Advanced tab
Advanced feature settings....
Device Select tab
And I uncheked where it said 'use AccuPoint'
Then clicked Ok

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.