After about 10 hours of chatting with my ISP's technical support (off and on over a few days) nothing has been resolved. At all. Please help.

One of my desktops (XP SP2) will not pick up an IP address at all. I have another desktop, an xbox, and 2 wireless laptops connecting all perfectly fine. When I try to repair the issue, Windows cannot even renew my IP address.

If anyone would like to help, and needs more information (anything at all) regarding my issue, I would love to talk to you over aim/msn/yahoo/whatever else type of instant chat program that you have.

I'll also check this thread as much as possible.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you:
1) Opened the command prompt and typed the following:
-ipconfig/release
(wait a few seconds)
-ipconfig/renew
*Sometimes windows will not do this for some reason when in
the network screen.

2) Disconnected the router or hub which you are using?

3) Logged into your router and refreshed the client table?
-type 192.168.0.1 (Sometimes 192.168.1.1 or something
completely different.
-Search around until you see a client table and refresh that.
-Search around until you see (allowed DCHP Clients), or
something similar and increase this amount.
*This will usually fix any conflicting ip address issue.

Here are some other sites:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/networking-forum/networking-support/80718-laptop-not-getting-correct-ip-address.html
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=176570

From control panel choose network "Network Connections" then "local area connection"

Choose properties (step 1 on the diagram)
Select the TCP/IP option, choose properties again (step 2)
Make sure "assigned automatically" is selected for everything.

Wow. Thanks for the reply red, after trying to renew the IP it gave me an error which I googled - brought me to a site that mentioned services, so I thought I'd take a look.

I noticed DHCP client wasn't running on the aforementioned pc. Simple fix! BUT! What would have made that service not run? start up was automatic, but it didn't actually start.

Wow. Thanks for the reply red, after trying to renew the IP it gave me an error which I googled - brought me to a site that mentioned services, so I thought I'd take a look.

I noticed DHCP client wasn't running on the aforementioned pc. Simple fix! BUT! What would have made that service not run? start up was automatic, but it didn't actually start.

My guess would be that there was a conflict with the IP address range and the range of your routers 'server'... It will show up that everything is ok, but not completely start working due to the conflicting address issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.