Hi everyone,
i have a motorola surfboard cable modem, and in the device manager i get the message:The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31). I have tried updating to the newest driver, which didn't work, and i also removed it from the list and rebooted, which also didnt work. Everything i have found on code 31 deals with a cd or dvd rom device. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how i could fix this problem. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hi everyone,
i have a motorola surfboard cable modem, and in the device manager i get the message:The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31). I have tried updating to the newest driver, which didn't work, and i also removed it from the list and rebooted, which also didnt work. Everything i have found on code 31 deals with a cd or dvd rom device. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how i could fix this problem. Thanks in advance for the help!!

have you tried unplugging the modem from wall plug for 5 min or so,remove it from device manager and thenplug it back in and trying to load drivers .

No, but i'll give it a shot as soon as i get home to my computer. I honestly dont think that will do it. I think when i was using hijack this i accidentally ticked the wrong box. What might have been in there that i messed up?

No, but i'll give it a shot as soon as i get home to my computer. I honestly dont think that will do it. I think when i was using hijack this i accidentally ticked the wrong box. What might have been in there that i messed up?

dont know .when you used hijackthis if you did it right it creates backups ,you could restore the changes .in hijack go to config/backups /check all all an restore ,
that is if you still have the orginal hijackthis .
Highjack thisis a good tool but is to be used with the help of someone who knowes the program and is helping you with the log .'try this .
go on over to the Security section of this fourm and post you problem along with a hijackthis log .
Spyware & Trojans and Other Nasties
Please Don't post the hijackthis log in this section Thanks .

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. HijackThis
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

Or HERE if that link fails to work or you don't have a zip program installed .

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS SOME OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO YOUR COMPUTER'S HEALTH

Hi everyone,

Are you using a Dell, by any chance? I'm having the same problem with my NIC and my modem. On the Dell forums there are a LOT of people with this problem. No one seems to know the cause or the way to fix it. A lot of people just got up one morning and had device conflict - they hadn't made any changes to their computer.

No, I'm using a Sony Viao. If you figure out what is wrong with your dell, please let me know. Caperjack - I understand that hijack this is to be used with the help of someone who knows the program, i had a list of what someone told me to delete, but i think i may have ticked an extra box accidentally. Thanks for the advice.

Hi everyone,

My update: Hi! I had the same problem - after trying all the suggestions from this board and the DELL forums, I had to reformat and reinstall Windows. A pain, but it DID work.

My update: Hi! I had the same problem - after trying all the suggestions from this board and the DELL forums, I had to reformat and reinstall Windows. A pain, but it DID work.

so ,that makes me tihnk its was a software ,registry errors problem,

so ,that makes me tihnk its was a software ,registry errors problem,

What would have fixed that? If I had posted a Hijackthis log? My system was clean (as far as I know) of viruses and spyware. Did the registry just get "corrupted" somehow?

What would have fixed that? If I had posted a Hijackthis log? My system was clean (as far as I know) of viruses and spyware. Did the registry just get "corrupted" somehow?

I/m not positive but I would have uninstalled software for the modem/nic card and also searched the registry for anything releated to both .
This come from problem i have had with winmodems in the past .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.