Hi all,

I'm trying to understand how computers are identified by web apps and web sites. A classic example would be signing up to play poker online. The downloaded software would probably include some unique identifier for the computer which dowloaded it. I'm talking about identifiers more complex than cookies, as these can be easily deleted. Where would I be able to find some more info about computer identification on the internet, and does anybody know of other identification methods?

jalen

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

the biggest would be your ip address!
IP Address is: 77.48.77.79. The host name is: Toronto-HSE-pp3474.sympatico.ca.

numbers changed to protect identity !

Well-behaved stuff will use Cookies. If you delete them you need to log in again next time you visit.

Some online activities will install software which communicates in a similar way to a trojan. In fact, they ARE trojans, albeit ones you've invited in.

IP address is not really a 'biggie' as those on dialup or with dynamic ip broadband internet will have their ip address changed every time they go online.

Some online activities will install software which communicates in a similar way to a trojan. In fact, they ARE trojans, albeit ones you've invited in.

This is usually how the poker games operate. It's almost like a "super cookie", or a client that authenticates to the website. I don't trust sites like that; why not just use cookies?

Agreed, Alex. I wouldn't allow such rubbish to stay on one of my systems for any longer than a moment after I noticed it was there!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.