Hello - I recently reformatted my Windows XP with a disk from 2002. Within 30 seconds of hooking up my DSL modem, I'm flooded with popups, spyware, etc etc. So, I installed ZoneAlarm's 15 day free trial so I can d/l all the windows security updates with at least some protection. My problem is there are some sites where I need the pop ups and ZA is blocking them (pogo for example :cheesy: ). I need to know how to allow certain popups. I've "approved" this site, but still get popups blocked. Holding down the Ctrl or Alt key does NOT work. I've searched ZA's help section, but it's like reading Greek - not very simple to me at all.

Thx!

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Forget this ZoneAlarm-thing and just use the Windows Xp-firewall. Should be sufficent for your purpose. Best thing though is still a router.

Forget this ZoneAlarm-thing and just use the Windows Xp-firewall. Should be sufficent for your purpose. Best thing though is still a router.

I would love to use XP's firewall - the problem is, I first have to d/l SP1 then SP2 and I need some sort of protection while these updates are d/ling - hence Zone Alarm.

I'm not ready to mess with a router, my CCNA cert is several years out of date - I don't remember a thing! lol :rolleyes:

1. Windows has a firewall, even without SP1 (or am I completely wrong??).

2. You don't need to download SP1, it's included in SP2.

Michael

1. Windows has a firewall, even without SP1 (or am I completely wrong??).

2. You don't need to download SP1, it's included in SP2.

Michael

How does windows have a firewall without sp2? I couldn't find it!

How does windows have a firewall without sp2? I couldn't find it!

in control panel .network connection right clik on the network icon and go properties /advanced .settings

Also you should not go online with a fesh install of xp with out first installing security patches for the blaster worm and such ,you should always aquire them before formating and copy them to disk to have to install after the reload . firewall is not going to block them !get this stuff at www.microsoft.com/downloads

Zone Alarm is wonderful. i use it without SP2. I will never use SP2 - I dont need that firewall, when ZA provides me with a very powerful tool to protect my computer

A very basic firewall is also included in sp1. sp2 has a more advanced version of the firewall.

The main difference is SP1 blocks out going attemps .and SP2 blocks them both ways ,
My opinon is if you have a good firewall and good Virus protection you don't need either SP1 or SP2 installed on you computer ,but if you want an updated winxp then SP2 is just that, a winxp OS upgrade ,and like any of the windows OS upgrades ,its best done on a fresh install ,that is why it has so many problems when people are installing it long after the orginal install of winxp.

Zone Alarm is wonderful. i use it without SP2. I will never use SP2 - I dont need that firewall, when ZA provides me with a very powerful tool to protect my computer

Zone Alarm is a little too protective for me - if there is such a thing :lol: I couldn't access certain games - the CD would whir and whir and the screen would just go black, and I had a hell of a time configuring ZA to let me on certain websites.

I got all my windows updates running and am good to go!

The main difference is SP1 blocks out going attemps .and SP2 blocks them both ways ,
My opinon is if you have a good firewall and good Virus protection you don't need either SP1 or SP2 installed on you computer ,but if you want an updated winxp then SP2 is just that, a winxp OS upgrade ,and like any of the windows OS upgrades ,its best done on a fresh install ,that is why it has so many problems when people are installing it long after the orginal install of winxp.

I have sygate firewall and avg antivirus ... and ad aware SE .... is that enough ??? I just hate the blue screen of death in sp2 ... but it works fine with sp1.

I have sygate firewall and avg antivirus ... and ad aware SE .... is that enough ??? I just hate the blue screen of death in sp2 ... but it works fine with sp1.

I would say that is enough ,it depend on a few things though ,like you internet connection is it on all the time or just when you are using it ,also depends on what you do on the net ,if you use instent messengers and axcept file from other users ,if you use P2P programs ,if you like downloading FREE programs to try ,ect ect .
In my signature there is a link software tools check it out ,I just check it and it has had a overhall so i will need to look around to tell you were to find the program i was going to mention .back later !:)

Back allready, check out downloads on the left and then spyware prevention I use and suggest ie-spyad and spywareblaster .ie spyad install info to the registry to block spyware from loading into the registry from some 3500 sites, ,and blaster install to the harddrive and is updateable and install blocked sites to internet explorers security/ restricted sites . and also firefox ,check it out .

I have a dial up connection and I'm not on all the time ... and sometimes I use my own dialup connection or other wise I use net from my LAN. And I dont use p2p programs either. But yes I download a lot of things .. softwares and bla bla ... no other such big risky work done on my pc ....

I have three windows( XP, XP, 2003 server) installed ... so I use two of them for testing purposes and one of them is used regularly.

Now what will you suggest ??

I have a dial up connection and I'm not on all the time ... and sometimes I use my own dialup connection or other wise I use net from my LAN. And I dont use p2p programs either. But yes I download a lot of things .. softwares and bla bla ... no other such big risky work done on my pc ....

I have three windows( XP, XP, 2003 server) installed ... so I use two of them for testing purposes and one of them is used regularly.

Now what will you suggest ??

Hi ,in mysignature link sotware tool ,look for spyware prevention tools, 3 tools ,ie-spyad ,spywareblaster, , and spywareguard ,i don't use the guard anymore as i use norton 2005 antivirus and it has worm blocker ,and i also use microsoft spyware beta program .
I reccommend, ie-spyad ,and spywareblaster ,and spywareguard ! all free and a good antivirus program ,At least!

a good antivirus program ,At least!

Isnt AVG a good antivirus ??? then what antivirus would you recommend ... I wont install norton as it is too heavy for me.

I saw the site in your sig...I used both spyware guard and spyware blaster ... but quitted using them due to their resource taking ... I dont want anything to take resources REALtime.... Antivirus and firewall are an exception. Thats why I uninstalled microsoft antispyware.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.