I am not a computer wizz but have had a lot of experience with computers and I really need a little help. I bought a new computer coming up a couple of years ago now and they had loaded Vista on it for me (which, after hearing all the problems with it, I didn't want). Ever since I got the computer I have had problems with specific programs not working properly and once one program stops working, it causes all the other programs to stop working. For example; if I'm on Internet Explorer, it will just come up with a message "internet explorer has stopped working" then shuts it down. I then try to access windows mail and the same thing happens. I have to restart the computer for the problem to go away but I can guarantee it will happen again once the computer is restarted, I just don't know when. It comes up with messages like 'desktop manager has stopped working' and windows host protocol has stopped working' etc. If there is something I can do, I will do it as this problem is driving me up the wall! Any help would be appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

OK, take a deep breath and let's look at this.

What we need first is some solid system specs (computer brand - HP perhaps?? - installed hardware - complete as possible - OS version - ie, Home Premium??). Have you installed ALL updates/service packs?? How much memory do you have??

Also, what AV are you using? Updated regularly? Run any malware scans?

May sound pedantic, but the more info we get from you, the more help we can provide you. I know Vista was buggy when first hit the ground, but I actually can't remember the last time I saw these issues on my own systems. The most common causes of these issues now relate to out-side issues, such as malware, not enough memory, sh1tty hardware or hardware drivers, or software incompatibilities. The more info we get from you, the easier to start ruling out the possibilities and get to the bottom of things for you :)

Ok, I will try to do my best. If i miss anything out, please let me know. I have An Acer Aspire SA90. Processor: Intel (R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.46GHz 3.48 GHz. Memory (RAM) 1.50 GB. System Type 32-bit Operating System. I run Windows Vista Home Basic and as far as I know, it runs udates quite frequently so I believe i will be up to date. It says it has service pack 1 installed.

I run AVG antivirus and it updates itself everytime the computer starts. I don't believe it does malware scans but can't be sure.

Any thing else just ask. Thanks for this.

Ok, I will try to do my best. If i miss anything out, please let me know. I have An Acer Aspire SA90. Processor: Intel (R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.46GHz 3.48 GHz. Memory (RAM) 1.50 GB. System Type 32-bit Operating System. I run Windows Vista Home Basic and as far as I know, it runs udates quite frequently so I believe i will be up to date. It says it has service pack 1 installed.

I run AVG antivirus and it updates itself everytime the computer starts. I don't believe it does malware scans but can't be sure.

Any thing else just ask. Thanks for this.

OK - just so I can get as much info on the specific model as possible (the SA90 first rolled out in 2004, with a number of rebuilds along the way), is there a model number (OR SSID) listed on the box/tower anywhere?

Looking at the processor itself (which as far as I can find out was Intel's very early steps into dual-core), it looks like they've put Vista on top of rather dated hardware, which could be where problems are starting from. As well as that, Vista Basic is about as configurable as it gets.

Unfortunately, some OEM's really took advantage of the confusion with all the Vista SKU's (versions), pushing out quite a few almost legacy models with an OS slapped on it, where it should never have been loaded.

Now before I start throwing out a couple of ideas I already have, if you can find the the exact model ID, I can than dig up as much info as I can on the specific edition and look at what will and won't solve your problems.

Sorry, I didn't realise that you had asked more questions. What I can get from the side of the box it is as follows:

Aspire SA90 Standard
P/N SA90698.040YE
W/O 37002218
SNID: 72204090

Do you need anything further

OK - am hitting a wall as far as tracking down more exact system specs, and don't want to drag you one way or another without a little more info. Have PM'd a couple of others who may well be able to provide fresh eyes on this, so just hold tight :)

Is AVG the only protective software you have?

Seems to me that Rik's on the right track. Your processor is a single core Pentium 64 bit CPU. Vista is fine with this CPU.

When a program stops working and then others fall down too, there is something corrupted in Windows (e.g. Taskmanager). A trojan corrupts Windows either in memory or on disk or both.

IMHO you should acquire the anti-malwarebytes program, run it in thorough mode and report back to us. There is helpful guidance over in the Virus/Spyware forum.

As for AVG - it's lightweight. Spend a few shekels on Kaspersky or something serious like that to protect your system.

nyway, something is corrupting in your system. If it was hardware, I'd expect a blue screen.

Seems to me that Rik's on the right track. Your processor is a single core Pentium 64 bit CPU. Vista is fine with this CPU.

Was torn two ways here myself (and did try and call for your eyes on this one as well as Rik's...but someone doesn't accept PM's!!), but have to remember that this model is one of Pentium's first forays into the dual-core market (and we all know how reliable Pentium's first efforts tend to be), so that was what had me a little uncertain. With no experience with the earlier models (personally waited till dual core was a little more stable), am not sure what bugs existed.

Anyway, something is corrupting in your system. If it was hardware, I'd expect a blue screen.

In most cases would be in sync with that, but there is one exception. In the case of Vista, was known to freeze - without BSOD - in some cases where resources and memory were low, but not so low as to be completely incompatible with Vista full stop. Have also seen cases where if Explorer or IE fail, others fail as a result. This is where I hit a brickwall... with the lack of detailed sys info, really wasn't sure which was more likely... low-resources, or malware infection.

Anyhow, very glad to have you two on board... needed the fresh eyes on this one :)

An Mbam scan will tell us if it is malware related.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

Was torn two ways here myself (and did try and call for your eyes on this one as well as Rik's...but someone doesn't accept PM's....

I turned off my PM a long time ago. The great peops out there would otherwise try to keep me busy 24x7x365!

Hey thanks. I have been a bit busy and haven't got back to view this for a while. I am currently doing a scan and will post the results when the scan is done. And yes, I have experienced many "blue screens"!!!

Okay, here we go.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2777
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

11/09/2009 10:16:00 p.m.
mbam-log-2009-09-11 (22-15-48).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 274063
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 13 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 15
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dnscache.dnscacheobj (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dnscache.dnscacheobj.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\hbmain.commband (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\hbmain.commband.1 (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\hbr.hbmain (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\hbr.hbmain.1 (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\hostie.bho (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\hostie.bho.1 (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\srv.coreservices (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\srv.coreservices.1 (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\toolbar.htmlmenuui (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\toolbar.htmlmenuui.1 (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\toolbar.toolbarctl (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\toolbar.toolbarctl.1 (Adware.Zango) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WR (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\NetPumper (Adware.NetPumper) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:
C:\Windows\wr.txt (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

Did you checkmark all the found items and specify remove selected? If not, that needs to be done and the PC restarted. Then you can report on the symptoms again.

It may be necessary to do a Windows repair for any damage the Trojan might have caused. We'll see.

Yeah I did check all. I have removed everything and will now wait and see how things go.

Thanks again.

It was the "No action taken" that bothered me.

I have had one instance since doing the scan that stopped Desktop manager - I proceeded to restart the computer at that point and haven't had a decent session to see if it happens again. Will give it a go this afternoon.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.