There is a strange problem with this DELL XPS system.
It starts normally till the log-in screen.
I enter the ID and password, which is accepted and then windows startup sound , followed by windows log-off sound heard.
It again logs off, and shows the login screen again.
Same process seen when i tried safe mode.
Already scanned for virus using kaspersky bntivirus boot disk, still problem persists.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hello,
Sorry to hear about your sick XPS, is it a desk top system or a laptop? What version of Windows? XP, Vista? If it is a desktop did you experience an unexpected shutdown, like a power failure? It sounds like something in Windows has gotten corrupted and is preventing it from booting. It could be about anything, a driver, something in the registry, etc. Let me know, if it is something catastrophic I can give you some help that with a little effort perhaps get you up and running again.
robert3353

Assuming you have XP, It might be userinit.exe...if you copy this file from another computer with XP, you should be able to log on...then, I'd run malwarebytes antimalware and see what comes up.

Hi,
This is a laptop with Windows XP.
I tried using some other bootable CDs like UBCD, and kaspersky bootable disk, and laptop works fine with them. i can see the harddrive contents also.
And before this problem, there was no other troubles ever. I have lots of useful softwares installed, so want to avoid rebuilding the whole system again. i can use my XP CD to enter the Recovery comand prompt screen, but dont know what to do after that.

Hello,
Sorry to hear about your sick XPS, is it a desk top system or a laptop? What version of Windows? XP, Vista? If it is a desktop did you experience an unexpected shutdown, like a power failure? It sounds like something in Windows has gotten corrupted and is preventing it from booting. It could be about anything, a driver, something in the registry, etc. Let me know, if it is something catastrophic I can give you some help that with a little effort perhaps get you up and running again.
robert3353

Try logging on as Administrator (account name, not a group policy thing).

By default, Administrator's password is blank, unless you defined it when you installed windows. (Same one that is required when you enter the recovery command prompt)
Maybe you'll manage to boot without immediate log-off.

If you do, look for Event Viewer log entires regarding any clue of what goes on when you log on. Event Viewer is a part of Administrative tools.

I just have Windows Vista on another system that i could get.
Is this file availble on internet at any reliable sourcce?

Assuming you have XP, It might be userinit.exe...if you copy this file from another computer with XP, you should be able to log on...then, I'd run malwarebytes antimalware and see what comes up.

When it comes to searching for and downloading files from the internet, I say, "Trust No One." Copy it from a friend's PC that you know is clean...if you can copy it to a floppy, that would be good. Then you should be able to use your XP CD to copy the file from the Recovery Console.

Tried this already,
din't worked. Dint worked out.

Try logging on as Administrator (account name, not a group policy thing).

By default, Administrator's password is blank, unless you defined it when you installed windows. (Same one that is required when you enter the recovery command prompt)
Maybe you'll manage to boot without immediate log-off.

If you do, look for Event Viewer log entires regarding any clue of what goes on when you log on. Event Viewer is a part of Administrative tools.

Well, you have several choices:

- you can take the drive out and put it into another machine to retrieve the data

- you can install second OS and use it to backup the data before ...

- ..you (can) bite the bullet and reinstall or repair windows. Repairing existing installation equals loosing all installed software. Not the files themselves, but the registry entries.

- ... or you could use ERD Commander to repair the existing windows. If I'm not mistaken, it is a bootable ISO image that you should burn to a CD or DVD and boot your machine that way. There are several tools that you need to repair the windows. Most important one is system restore service.

You should google it up.

Use your XP CD to enter the Recovery comand prompt screen, and then run "chkdsk".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.