I didn't know where else to post this, so if it is in the wrong forum, please move it to the correct one.

Anyway, I need wireless connection for my laptop, but I want it to work internationally, as I need to use it in both Europe or Asia (mostly asia). But I want it to work here in the USA too. So please, someone, help find an isp, either if it is satelite, dsl, wi-fi, or anything, as long it works internationally and is wireless. I thank you all in advance, and I congradulate you all in the fact that this website has grown up to be so large, and helpful.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Your question is rather obscure, but I´m reading that you want to set your laptop up to be able to get a wireless connection anywhere in Europe, Asia or US. I just moved back to the US from Europe, so can help you if I´m reading you right.

There´s no ISP that would have the range to connect you without some additional special equipment. However, if you choose a pc card that is compatible with the wifi standard (just check the card on the internet), you will be able to connect with the vast majority of hot spots and coffee houses in Europe at least, and I assume asia and the US.

The last time I checked prices at an internet cafe in Barcelona, it cost about 4€ per hour to connect...prices vary from country to country and in different cafes...

so if i get a wi-fi card, i can connect to hotspots anywhere? then how will I be billed without a single isp?

I haven't had much experience with the actual use at a hotspot but normally you can just pay them directly when you are there or use a credit card through the user interface. One way to find out is to check out a Starbuck's.

that helps a lot, thank you very much for your help.

You are very welcome. I just thought of something else. Depending on your wireless card, you should be able to see something on the screen whenever you are within the scope of a wireless hot spot. You should also get a notification, if it's commercial, how to sign in and payment terms, etc. Be careful, as most wireless lans that people set up do not have security set, so you COULD inadvertantly be signing on to someone's private net. The key would be that you would just be on and not have to sign in...

btw, this IS on the wrong forum, however, I can't move it. If a moderator wants to move it, they will...

Member Avatar for Lisa Ferrouge

I didn't know where else to post this, so if it is in the wrong forum, please move it to the correct one.

Anyway, I need wireless connection for my laptop, but I want it to work internationally, as I need to use it in both Europe or Asia (mostly asia). But I want it to work here in the USA too. So please, someone, help find an isp, either if it is satelite, dsl, wi-fi, or anything, as long it works internationally and is wireless. I thank you all in advance, and I congradulate you all in the fact that this website has grown up to be so large, and helpful.

Hello there,
No one replied to your inquiry about an international wireless connection for your laptop? I need the information now too. If you did get a reply, could you please send me the information as well?
Thanks a million for your input in advance! :lol:

Member Avatar for Lisa Ferrouge

oh sorry! I replied from the forum's first inital page, not from the forum to date! I must look like an idiot. Anyhow, did you have any luck with all the advice? Which method did you end up using for your wireless international connection?

Many thanks!

Borders cause a lot of problems.

There could be a very serious problem, because different countries have different frequency allocations for various radio services. Thus, the wireless transceiver must be able to handle the frequencies used by the countries you visit. There also may be completely different communications protocols (handshaking between equipment).

More important than that, your equipment must not "ping" for the wireless service on frequencies which are not authorized in that country. Such activity could get you jailed and your equipment confiscated. So your equipment must be told where it is located BEFORE you use it.

You may have to buy different wireless transcievers and open different accounts in each country, since each service is handled under different law and licensing procedures.

Cell phones have the same problem. They don't automatically work when you travel, and they may produce illegal transmissions in some countries. Each country has its own frequencies, laws, companies, and licensing procedures.

So what is the solution? I am needing wireless service in a remote area of Mexico...but I didn't catch what the solution is/was. Can anyone explain?

:confused:

There may be no solution.

Each country has its own radio frequency allocations. Using equipment not approved in that country is a serious violation of the law.

You have to check with EACH country's government to find out what is allowed and what is not.

You may have to carry different connection equipment for each country, and change it when you go through customs.

One other thing: In a truly remote area, there is not likely to be a wireless station available within range.

Supposably, you can use AT&T blackberry plan and tether to it and be able to get it anywhere on the planet where you can get a cell phone reception. It costs around $150 a month for unlimited data and the minimum 450 minutes (which i wouldn't use abroad, the rates are sky high). $120 If you don't pay for tethering and can figure how to connect it without the cable and can endure an even slower connection.

that i think is the true answer to this question. i gives BB internet wherever you are. just be ware of cellular roaming rates.

i use a nokia 6121classic (because of the 900 HSDPA in NZ) to the same effect/ very economical, considering what it gives you, (it is cheaper than some land based rates over here, where we have the most expensive BB on earth. literally.)

Each country has its own radio frequency allocations. Using equipment not approved in that country is a serious violation of the law.

You have to check with EACH country's government to find out what is allowed and what is not.

You may have to carry different connection equipment for each country, and change it when you go through customs.

You can change your Wifi channel using the manufacturers instructions.

Spectrum assignments and operational limitations are not consistent worldwide. Most of Europe allows for an additional 2 channels beyond those permitted in the U.S. for the 2.4 GHz band. (1–13 vs. 1–11); Japan has one more on top of that (1–14). Europe, as of 2007, was essentially homogeneous in this respect. A very confusing aspect is the fact that a Wi-Fi signal actually occupies five channels in the 2.4 GHz band resulting in only three non-overlapped channels in the U.S.: 1, 6, 11, and three or four in Europe: 1, 5, 9, 13 can be used if all the equipment on a specific area can be guaranteed not to use 802.11b at all, even as fallback or beacon. Equivalent isotropically radiated power (EIRP) in the EU is limited to 20 dBm (100 mW).

there is software out there that can save different configs for wifi as profiles, one for each country or what ever. to change the broadcast channel you normally go to network-show all devices/connections. rhtclk,properties. in the general tab,configure. then in the advanced tab, scroll to find IIBS channel or something similar.

Hello there, I need help too. Does anyone know any internet provider who supplies connection from any part of the World? Please help. P. D. Angola

Hello there, I need help too. Does anyone know any internet provider who supplies connection from any part of the World? Please help. P. D. Angola

Hi, there. The most immediate one that I can think of is a service like Vodafone's mobile broadband solution. (V3 in Australia).

Basically, you have a BB account loaded into a sim card. you plug that sim card into a 3g enabled device (like a 3g Vodem Stick or a 3g cell Phone. There is also a 3g router that accepts sim cards, too.)

you then connect to that device.
-If it is a vodem, it plugs into your PC directly.
-If it is a cell phone, you can use the usb cable, or Bluetooth if your PC has it (you can by BT dongles from dealextreme.com for $2)
-the router will connect wirelessly to a notebook, or plug in with an ethernet card.

there are a couple of things to consider:
BIG ONE:

\Cost.
you will need to check with Vodafone/ or your said supplier, but data roaming charges are likely to apply. usually expensive. (it depends on what you will be doing with it, how much you wil use it, etc)

the device:
it needs to be unlocked for all countries, wideband (prefferably quad band) and probably wants to include the 3.5g technology/900mhz. This is known as extended coverage network, or rural broadband.
It also needs to have the software package that supports using the phone as a modem, either cabled or BT.

My setup uses a nokia 6120classic / BT
Speeds average 1mb where I live, 4.5mb in town.

I only mention Vfone (aka bellsouth) because I know and use the service and they are pretty international.

i don't know the other big players. sorry.

hope it helps...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.