Scan disk restarts 10 times, due to some program writing to the hard drive, i have ran scan disk with tool bar turned off and with only exploror and systray running. and i still get this error message, i ran many virus scans and no viruses, then i ran scan disk in safe mode, took almost 6 hours. i still get this error message when running scan disk in normal mode and with only exploror and systray running, any suggestions on a solution? i need to fix errors on my hd so i can defrag. pls help

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi,
Did you ever tried : ctrl/alt/delete pushe them once al together at the same time?
Look at processes and try to find out which programs are still running and probably writing to your harddrive. Justend the process and try to run scandisk again.
Good luck,
Spooner.

When you ran it in Safe Mode, even though it took so long, was it successful? If you can't even run it in Safe Mode, or if it finds errors it can't fix, your drive may be failing. If it did finish, and fixed any errors (or didn't find any), you should be able to defrag from Safe Mode as well.

When you ran it in Safe Mode, even though it took so long, was it successful? If you can't even run it in Safe Mode, or if it finds errors it can't fix, your drive may be failing. If it did finish, and fixed any errors (or didn't find any), you should be able to defrag from Safe Mode as well.

ok when i did scan disk in safe mode it did fix the errors, and when i restarted in regular windows, i ran disk defrag and it was sucessful as well, so i guess the problem is solved. thanx for your alls help.

ok when i did scan disk in safe mode it did fix the errors, and when i restarted in regular windows, i ran disk defrag and it was sucessful as well, so i guess the problem is solved. thanx for your alls help.

You're welcome!!
Spooner

Make sure any screensaver / and / or any disk indexing software (i.e. Pagis Pro or MS Office FastFind. Bringing up Task Manager with CTRL
- ALT - DEL is also a good idea.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.