I have a pc that is shared by several people. Have decided to disable the log on password, but would still like to protect my private documents. It should be relatively simple - can anyone tell me how to set password entry on specific folders?

Much appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

well, one option is to compress the documents you have, then encrypt the compressed folder. To encrypt the compressed folder, just right click the compressed folder and you should see "encrypt" or something along those lines, and then just follow the instructions and such. People will still be able to open the folder, but they cant open the document itself without the password, so you might want to rename the documents.

yeah, a little cumbersome that method. Someone out there must know of a shareware utility or simple program that can achieve this.

If you're running NTFS on your system, simply change the permissions on that folder so people can't access it. No need to password protect; they just won't be able to access the folder if you set the permissions so they can't read it.

can't they just not share the folder?

can't they just not share the folder?

It depends-- if they're talking about protecting it locally or over the network. If they're trying to protect it from others on the same machine, not sharing it does nothing.

1) Right Click My Computer scoll down to Explorer open it.

2)Choose the folder that you want to encrypt,right click scoll down to
properties open it.

3) On the general tab click the advanced button

4) Check the box labled encyrpt contents for secure data and click OK

5) Click apply, this will causes the confirm Attribute changes dialog box to open
if any files or folders exist in the selected folder.

Hope this helps :cheesy:

***********WARNING*********

Windows file encryption is a dangerous tool in the hands of the inexperienced. If you use it, be sure to keep a record of any passwords used to access the feature, and be sure to decrypt the files if you plan to backup your data and format, to perform a 'refresh' install of Windows, or to install a Service Pack.

If you fail to protect your encrypted data files against loss, you will almost certainly not be able to access them again later, should one of these situations arise.

They'll still be there, but you WON'T be able to use them! If your files and folders are encrypted, you should really use the same user account, on the same Windows installation, to decrypt them and store them elsewhere, for safety's sake!

there is a quick but insecure way of protecting ur folder. you can put all your personal datas inside a folder, right click and select on properties. check on the hidden checkbox. Your folder will now either look transparent or disappear from sight. If it is transparent, go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab. In the Advanced Settings, expand the folder entitled:" Hidden files and folders". Select on Do not show hidden files and folders. Click on Apply. Go back and double check if your folder is 'gone'(it's just invisible). To retrieve back the folder, just repeat the steps and change the settings back to Show all hidden files and folders.

(TIPS: The best way to hide your folders is to put them is some deep buried subfolders. eg: c:\windows\somefolder\somefolder\somefolder\yourfolder. Don't leave your hidden folders at desktop and my documents. You never know when it will be revealed.)

Another option is to search for the trial softwares at www.download.com. Keyword: "Folder Guard". I know there are some cracks out there but it's not appropriate for me to post it here. Besides, support the software makers for their hardwork. Cheers~ :cheesy:

Hello,

You guys gotta remember that most people work with the windows insecurity model -- everyone is a local administrator. So NTFS permission changes would work for the un-informed. And no, a reflective share is not the answer to this one either.

If you wanted to be sneaky, you could put it on a partition that can be unmounted to the casual users.

And head the warning about Windows file encryption. It is not a toy. Do not treat it as such.

Also, locking a file out of Office might be one thing, but other pieces of software, such as a nibble editor, will walk right around that one.

iN this case, you might want to think about physical security. Don't let people on your box.

Christian

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME THE STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE ON HOW TO SET A FOLDER'S PASSWORD. ON OUR NETWORK I JUST WANT TO PREVENT SOME USER FROM ALTERING ANY FILES ON A PARTICULAR FOLDER AND SET A FULL CONTROL ON SOME USER. I SAW SOME HOW-TO-DO-IT-YOURSELF ON SOME SITES, BUT THE EXPLINATIONS IS SO FEW. I CAN NOT FOLLOW IT (begginers like me). CAN ANYONE TELL ME A CAREFULLY LAID STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE AND COULD HE TELL ME HIS CONTACT IN ANY CASE I WOULD HAVE ANY QUESTIONS IN THE FUTURE. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME THE STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE ON HOW TO SET A FOLDER'S PASSWORD. ON OUR NETWORK I JUST WANT TO PREVENT SOME USER FROM ALTERING ANY FILES ON A PARTICULAR FOLDER AND SET A FULL CONTROL ON SOME USER. I SAW SOME HOW-TO-DO-IT-YOURSELF ON SOME SITES, BUT THE EXPLINATIONS IS SO FEW. I CAN NOT FOLLOW IT (begginers like me). CAN ANYONE TELL ME A CAREFULLY LAID STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE AND COULD HE TELL ME HIS CONTACT IN ANY CASE I WOULD HAVE ANY QUESTIONS IN THE FUTURE. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

You can zip the folder first.

commented: Useless post after 4 years -2

You can zip the folder first.

Please don't reply to old thread anymore... It was from 4 years ago and new solution has is already updated...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.