I just got my replaced 250gb hdd today and was copying some data from my WD external hdd.Firstly it was copying those files at a normal speed.But then it started to slow down.I restarted my computer then it was taking more time to load.I checked the eventvwr and got these errors and warnings

Event id - 9
"The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period."

Event id - 57
"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

Eventid - 51
"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation."

Whats the cause of these errors?I have checked my new hdd which i got today.

Well i was already suffering from the windows xp hanging problem so i thought new hdd might solve this problem,here is a thread

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread102063-2.html

And now i think i should change the power supply.Or RAM?

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

I suggest that you trawl through this lot
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=51&eventno=793&source=Disk&phase=1

In the above link it'll tell you about Event ID 51; you can then look up the others and put together a set of reasons that fit your combination.

I presume all the jumpers on the new disk are correctly set with regard to prefetch and buffering or whatever BIOS options you may be offered. There may also be a Windows drivers issue if you've changed drives.

commented: thanks - gaurav_indian +1

Sounds like the drive isn't configured right, damaged, not installed right, or its some sort of fluke. Try physically reinstalling it, ensuring any jumpers are correctly set (most likely slave or cable select would suit you). If you have any questions on this, go ahead and give us your setup and hardware information (model number of your hdds and whatever hardware you can) and we should be able to help you. (Like is the drive PATA or SATA? Its your second drive in your system, right? Or are you replacing your C: drive? Those sorts of things :) )

Another possibility is that it is a bad drive. Its actually not that uncommon to receive a drive DOA (Dead on Arrival). I think it has something to do with how incredibly complicated and small the components are becoming, but its just a hunch. Since you presumably just purchased this drive, try returning it to the store or contacting the manufacturer for a replacement if you're still having trouble.

When dealing with your drive, make sure to ground yourself! Use an antistatic strap or antistatic gloves, or at the bare minimum, touch a metal part of your computer case for a few seconds. Don't work on carpet, and unplug your computer unless you can cut the power to your outlet, then you can leave it plugged in so its grounded better. Oh, and a common mistake- that I've made a lot- don't put hardware on the outside of antistatic bags unless you touch the bag to your computer case (or other grounded metal) for 10-15 seconds, because electricity builds up on it.

Just a few pointers, you've probably heard them countless times, but it doesn't hurt to reiterate. :)

Get back to us with an update!

--The Comodore

commented: thanks - gaurav_indian +1

Well i have 250gb Sata Seagate hdd.
20gb primary partition and rest of them are logical drives with approx 53 gb each.
And i have configured it with DiscWizardSetup.And installed windows xp onto it.It ran very well for first 3-4 hours until i started transferring data to this from WD external hdd.And i had these types of errors on my old 80gb hdd also.
Few weeks ago i had a similar problem with my 200gb hdd and i replaced it.I have checked data cables.Tried 3 different data cables and power cables.Still windows xp is running slow.I am starting to assume that either my power supply is faulty or its becoz of RAM.Becoz same thing cant happen to three hdd?I have 450 watt power supply.
For more you can look at into this problem also which i am facing my config is also written there

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread102063-2.html

Well, you should follow the advice I gave you earlier becasue there is detailed information on each of the errors you are seeing. Also Microsoft have got articles on this in their knowledgebase.

I really think this is a cacheing problem. If it has affected more than one HDD then it's unlikely to be a hardware fault. There'll likely be a SATA setting or a BIOS setting or a Jumper or even an updated device driver that'll sort this lot out.

Well, you should follow the advice I gave you earlier becasue there is detailed information on each of the errors you are seeing. Also Microsoft have got articles on this in their knowledgebase.

I really think this is a cacheing problem. If it has affected more than one HDD then it's unlikely to be a hardware fault. There'll likely be a SATA setting or a BIOS setting or a Jumper or even an updated device driver that'll sort this lot out.

Can u tell me what kind of settings should i keep for BIOS?And i dont know much about jumper settings also.

Start here on this site and explore your options in depth.
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=install-troubleshoot-sata-non-mac&vgnextoid=2b089d2c3c90e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Also follow up on my original advice regarding your event IDs.

You are going to have to take this problem into your own hands because you're in front of the PC and we're thousands of miles away. I've pointed you to the information sources.

Come back for further help.

If you didn't change anything, then the jumpers on your motherboard should be fine as they are.

For your hard drive settings, check out this website to help you with that

http://www.ehow.com/how_6031_change-master-slave-designation.html

You should do master on the original drive and slave on the new one, or do cable select on both and make sure that the original drive is at the end of your cable and the new one is on the second connector a bit further down.

This is all assuming you are using ATA cable (long, wide, flat, cabling that is usually grey) instead of SATA cabling (which is not nearly as wide, thicker, and usually red). If you're using SATA, just make sure you have your original drive plugged into the 0 port (or 1 if there is no 0) and the second one is further along the number line. Its pretty straightforward- you want your main (the one with your OS installed) hard drive to be the lowest down the list, and your second one to be after it, but before any other SATA devices.

Make sense? :p

Tell us if you have more questions!

--The Comodore

I have checked my hdd and one of my drive has 20kb bad sectors in it.grr i got this hdd yesterday.Thanks for your help guys.But still i am confused about my another problem thats related to windows xp i thought new hdd will help me but it didnt.Have to wait for few more days now to get the new replaced hdd.:(

grrr i formatted that hdd again and bad sectors removed wtf?

And i have now installed windows xp on that hdd and my pc is freezing again.

Got this error in the event viewer

event id = 17
source = W32time

desc =
"
Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)
"

another error

source = haspnt
eventid= 3
desc = "The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( Haspnt ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Hasp, 0xC0000034.."

system hangs with a beep sound.
Whats going on?

Is this the drive you originally tried this with or is it the replacement you mentioned a few posts up?

Its sounding like a bad drive to me if it is the original drive you tried to add.

Is it Serial ATA or Paralell ATA? (SATA or PATA?)

--The Comodore

Yeah this is the drive which i have replaced.It was happening in the old hdd also.I am confused now everyday new problem comes up.I cant do my work.
Its SATA seagate 250gb.And my old hdd is also SATA seagate 80 gb.I have windows xp on 250gb hdd.

Alright, with SATA you don't need to worry about Jumpers. You're good!

Make sure you don't plug in power to both power ports on the drive, though! I almost did that. There might be one legacy Molex connector (the thick, normal kind of power port on most devices like your CD drive and things) and/or one SATA power port (which is thinner than Molex)

If you plug them both in, you risk damaging your drive!

What else... You could have a bad hard drive controller?

You could try updating the firmware (if thats possible for these new drives), and test them out in a different computer- I think you did that already?- to see if they're having the same problem there.

All the best,

--The Comodore

Alright, with SATA you don't need to worry about Jumpers. You're good!

Make sure you don't plug in power to both power ports on the drive, though! I almost did that. There might be one legacy Molex connector (the thick, normal kind of power port on most devices like your CD drive and things) and/or one SATA power port (which is thinner than Molex)

If you plug them both in, you risk damaging your drive!

What else... You could have a bad hard drive controller?

You could try updating the firmware (if thats possible for these new drives), and test them out in a different computer- I think you did that already?- to see if they're having the same problem there.

All the best,

--The Comodore

sorry but i didnt get the bold part of your post.which power ports?

guys i am fed up with this problem.Its hanging again and again.I cant do anything.

I suggest that you trawl through this lot
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=51&eventno=793&source=Disk&phase=1

In the above link it'll tell you about Event ID 51; you can then look up the others and put together a set of reasons that fit your combination.

I presume all the jumpers on the new disk are correctly set with regard to prefetch and buffering or whatever BIOS options you may be offered. There may also be a Windows drivers issue if you've changed drives.

Did you do this research?

Did you do this research?

yes lol i did the research even before posting it here.I googled it.I was confused thats why i started this thread.

yes lol i did the research even before posting it here.I googled it.I was confused thats why i started this thread.

Confused or lazy? Sorry to put this to you - but why should we be looking up the combinations of event id errors and reach a conclusion when you could do this yourself?

If anyone had the exact answer for your fairly unique situation (combination of event ids) you'd have had the answer by now.

What I meant was your hard drive probably has two power connectors on the back. One that matches with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SATA_power_cable.jpg

and one that matches with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Molex_female_connector.jpg

Plug either one or the other in, not both.

--The Comodore

oh i know that lol,i have changed them also.I dont think its a hdd problem.

And i have enquired about haspnt its related to dongle driver,parallel port etc and it cant freeze windows xp.And i have disabled w32time from the control panel which automatically synchronizes time with internet.The problem was with my gfx card which now i have removed.And since then there is no freezing problem.But thanks comodore,Suspishio for your kind help.

@suspishio i was confused lol lots of things are happening at the same time confused me.Like hdd problem,freezing problem,getting eventvwr errors and gfx card problem.:(

...The problem was with my gfx card which now i have removed.And since then there is no freezing problem.But thanks comodore,Suspishio for your kind help.

@suspishio i was confused lol lots of things are happening at the same time confused me.Like hdd problem,freezing problem,getting eventvwr errors and gfx card problem.:(

You're welcome and I'm glad we got that "confused" matter cleared up.

Oddly enough, after I'd looked at the Event ID story at the link I posted, I tossed a coin to bet on disk cacheing or graphics drivers - and you know which one turned up heads!

Graphics drivers (particularly ATI and its MOM.EX program) are notorious culprits, usually because they grab memory without obeying kernel rules. When something else comes to use the meomry, what's there is not what's expected. And that can indeed produce cacheing errors, but as a secondary effect which is what I think the event ID was reporting. See what I mean.

Well done anyway in getting back on the road. What you gonna do about the graphics now?

I have nvidia geforce 6600 gt.And its still under warranty so i will get it replaced.

If you get it replaced I really suggest you go up a notch to 7800 at least. A whole clutch of games like UT3 recommend minimum 7800 and COD4 doesn't perform well on 7600.

Anyway, if it's a driver thing, then replacement under warranty may not solve anything immediately. It may well be an interesting haul updating to latest driver versions including Direct x 9C - they all interact.

Keep us posted.

I never would have thought of the video card as a problem- you learn something new every day!

Thanks for the info, Suspishio! I'll remember that.

Thats what these forums are for, no?

All the best,

--The Comodore

I never would have thought of the video card as a problem- you learn something new every day!

Thanks for the info, Suspishio! I'll remember that.

Thats what these forums are for, no?

All the best,

--The Comodore

Yeah lol thats why i never tested it.And it took almost a month to actually know that it could be becoz of gfx card.I was starting to think that it might be due to power supply which Darvus was also saying.But yesterday my screen was flickering randomly then i thought i should check gfx card now,i removed it and so far my system hasnt freezed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.