Hi all I was given a Compaq presario 2500 laptop which needed a new HDD which I purchased and installed. I then tried to install xp with the original cd which I was also given, everything was going fine until it got to the second boot and it said a disk error has occoured press ctrl/alt/del to restart which i did but it just goes back to the same error.
I checked the cd and it has no scratches and I blew out the optical drive and tried again, press any key to boot from cd came up and as soon as i hit a key it just went to a black screen and nothing.
Have been reading many threads but am very confused about what to try.
Not sure what other info to include here.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by matilda21

Try to boot off of a linux live CD like knoppix to eliminate the CD drive as a possible error. If you do boot off of the CD it should have some menu items that let you explore the drive partitioning -- or drive filesystem if it has been partitioned. This should give you an indicator as to what is wrong.

Hi and thanks for your help, I have the spotmau powersuite professional cd which i thought may help and it loads perfectly fine but am unsure what exactly i should be doing with it to fix my problem. is the knoppix cd different to the spotmau cd ? I will purchase it anyway as it looks like a handy cd to have.

true, i just thought you may have known a bit about the spotmau cd and could guide me a bit.
Have fixed the problem.

Have fixed the problem.

do share the fix, in case someone else comes to this thread with the same problem ,thanks ,jack

Sorry... got a bit excited that i mananged to fix it .
I used the spotmua cd and created another partition and then reformatted C drive. The windows xp cd then loaded and installed without a problem.
Thanks for heading me in the right direction with this .

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.