Hello,
Having a problem. I have a hP desktop that keeps going to the blue screen of death and them reboots. I turned automatice restart off in the f8 screen and it still does it. So what i have found is I can boot the computer in the Directory services mode. I edited the registery and set the value in the autorestart to 0 and now it stops. The error code is as follows.
0x0000007B (oxF789E524,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
any help would be appreciated
I can get it to boot in safe mode using the Directory services repair mode in f8. Nothing else will let it boot.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

What is the error message that goes with this BSOD?
Is it "Inaccessible Boot Device"?

Also what's your configurastion, particulary disk drive(s) and disk controller.

What is the error message that goes with this BSOD?
Is it "Inaccessible Boot Device"?

Also what's your configurastion, particulary disk drive(s) and disk controller.

Just says "a problem has been dected and windows has been shut down to protect your computer. Check for virus etc. We are using the on board disk controller and it has two drives c and d. When i start in Directory services recover mode it checks the drives and says they are both clean

Has there been any change to your system? New hardware or new drivers?

In the BIOS, is the Hard Disk 0 set as the first Boot device?

Do you get as far as the moving rectangles going across the screen?

The Master Boot Record is OK - you're past this stage because you can get into Safe Mode. This also means that your partition table isn't corrupt.

The NTLDR stage is working, again because you have a choice offered to go into Safe Mode.

But when you trry to load the Normal system it can't find a good configuration and then tries (and fails) to load a lst known good configuration.

There seem to be few, if any, easy ways out of this. One could through the motions of checking your disk for faults (CHKDSK /F) - but first get your key data files off on the outside chance of something going wrong.

But the usual remedy is to repair Windows and bring it back into a state of grace.

chkdsk/f says all is fine. machine boots in safe mode fine using directory service recover option.

Machine does give windows startup screen with bar moving accross about 20 tmes

Machine does give windows startup screen with bar moving accross about 20 tmes

Have a look at the attached PDF.

You've got at least as far as the Kernel Load portion of the boot process.

If the bar isn't the rectangles I mentioned but is like a bar meter, then you've progressed to Kernel Initialisation stage. If Windows tries to re-boot (which it did before you changed the registry), then you've reached the I/O Manager stage. Here's where it appears to fall down: You don't have a last known good configuration. The problem could be a driver or the Registry having been corrupted (by what?).

That is why, if you don't have a System Restore Point that goes back far enough, you won't recover without rebuilding Windows. What is your status with the restore point?

I have tried to restore from 3 different dates and it starts the process then aborts and says "Restore point could not be completed" and quits.

Hi,
Sometimes, some of the windows protected files can be lost or changed. To detect any problems run the program “System File Checker” (SFC). Before you run it you should purge your PC’s cache:-

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”.. sfc.exe /purgecache

Note:- the space after “exe”.

The “purgecache” in this command will empty the cache before you run the file checker. You should always purge the cache before scanning with the System File Checker (SFC). That way, you can be sure that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and are not infected with malware or corrupted. After the cache has been purged, run System File Checker.

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”… sfc.exe /scannow

Note:- the space after “exe”. You may be required to use your installation disk.

This could take a long time to complete, when finished, reboot and see if the problem still exists.

Hi,
When all else fails and before you format your hard drive and start again, you can try and repair windows from your installation disk.
If you follow these instructions you will only repair your windows installation and you will not lose any data you have installed or saved. (EXCEPT:-)
If you have downloaded a service pack and updates and do not have it on your installation disk, you will have to reinstall upgrades after the repair. You can allow windows to automatically download and install these updates (“Auto updates” turned on) or go to the windows update site and do it yourself by going to the update site.

To Repair Windows XP from your installation CD…..

1. Re-start PC with Windows XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
2. As pc starts press “F12” (for most PCs) for boot options (Or check start up screen for access to Boot Options.)
3. Press any key when prompted,
4. Scroll to and select “Boot from CD” and press enter.
5. Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, Do not press “R” at this screen.
6. Press “F8” to accept license agreement
7. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
8. Press “R” now! NOTE:- If you select any other option you could lose all the last windows installation and will have to reinstall everything again later.
9. Enter serial number when prompted.
10. Wait for files to be copied
11. When asked to adjust Regional language etc, click “Next” as it is still set.
12. When asked if you want to register this version of windows, Click “No, Not at this time” as it is still registered. And press “Next”
13. Re-boot your PC.

O.K. all. I have reloaded Windows from the CD. I used repair. WOW what a nightmare. I have lost faith in MS. I call it JUNK. I reloaded the software and then did a windows update. It worked fine until the Windows Loader 3.1 failure. I went on the web and read about this problem. I used the resource kit and a program to change the permissions on the registery. All worked fine and then a new error. It would not load explorer. So again I used Google Chrome to download explorer 7 again and now it all seems fine. I knew this was not a hardware problem. Probably a driver. I still need to install my graphics card and get it working. At this point the system is clean per the software programs of, CC Cleaner, Registery Mechanic, Malware Bytes, System Mechanic, Spybot, and etc.

Hi,
Suspishio has mistakenly given you a site to reinstall windows. It would probably fix your problem but he said a XP repair and that is different. These are my instructions but there are plenty out there if you want to Google it.

When all else fails and before you format your hard drive and start again, you can try and repair windows from your installation disk.
If you follow these instructions you will only repair your windows installation and you will not lose any data you have installed or saved. (EXCEPT:-)
If you have downloaded a service pack and updates and do not have it on your installation disk, you will have to reinstall those upgrades after the repair. You can allow windows to automatically download and install these updates (“Auto updates” turned on) or go to the windows update site and do it yourself by going to the update site.

To Repair Windows XP from your installation CD…..

1. Re-start PC with Windows XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
2. As pc starts press “F12” (for most PCs) for boot options (Or check start up screen for access to your Boot Options.)
3. Press any key when prompted,
4. Scroll to and select “Boot from CD” and press enter.
5. Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, Do not press “R” at this screen.
6. Press “F8” to accept license agreement
7. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
8. Press “R” now! NOTE:- If you select any other option you could lose all the last windows installation and will have to reinstall all your other software again later.
9. Enter serial number when prompted.
10. Wait for files to be copied
11. When asked to adjust Regional language etc, click “Next” as it is still set.
12. When asked if you want to register this version of windows, Click “No, Not at this time” as it is still registered. And press “Next”
13. Re-boot your PC.
14. If you are still having problems after that, then you will need to think about backing up your data and formatting your drive and doing a fresh install.

If Windows tries to re-boot (which it did before you changed the registry), then you've reached the I/O Manager stage. Here's where it appears to fall down: You don't have a last known good configuration.

OK - so you've pasted part of my reply in post #8.

What's your point?

He's doing it all over the place, copying bits of other replies in the thread just to promote his sig links. In other words, he's a spammer.

OK - so you've pasted part of my reply in post #8.

What's your point?

Thanks to all I had to do a XP re-install. I did the one where it save everything.
Thanks
Ed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.