I have xp professional installed on computer (HP). It looks like it is booting a corrupted video dll file or something as the windows xp professional logo comes on during boot, then the screen goes haywire. I can see the desktop load but it is shows about 20 desktops with no way of doing anything but crying...

Does anyone know how to change this dll file from bootup or get to the c prompt to do the fix and if so, what is the fix?

Any help would be appreciated. The monitor I am using is Acer Acerview 11D SVGA Model 7111D.

Thanks.

Paul :cool:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have xp professional installed on computer (HP). It looks like it is booting a corrupted video dll file or something as the windows xp professional logo comes on during boot, then the screen goes haywire. I can see the desktop load but it is shows about 20 desktops with no way of doing anything but crying...

Your video scan rate is not matching your monitor's capabilities. Start by going into Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode, right-click on the desktop. Go to Properties -> Settings and set the screen resolution to 800 x 600, then go to the button Advanced -> Monitors and select your monitor from the list. This will limit the modes to those that your Acer can handle.

Go to http://www.EntechTaiwan.com and download MultiRes. This will allow you to change your resolution and refresh rates on-the-fly. You want your refresh rates as high as your monitor will allow -- at least 75 Hz, though 85 Hz is better.

Tried the safe mode and it still loads with this scrambled mess where most of the screen is black but can see a few recognizable items. But not enough to make any opening of video settings etc.

Anyway to get into cprompt and fix?

thanks

paul

Are you saying that when in safe mode it still all screwed up

Tried the safe mode and it still loads with this scrambled mess where most of the screen is black but can see a few recognizable items. But not enough to make any opening of video settings etc.

It sounds like you need a new monitor. Try borrowing one as a cross-check. Running in Safe Mode, you should always see a proper, if lo-res display. Anything else is likely the monitor (though it could be the video card). That series of Acers is prone to bad solder connections, among other things.

Here is the way of booting into the C-Prompt. Insert your Windows XP Pro CD at bootup. Then once all booted you will have the options of "Installing Windows" "Recovery Console". You will hit Recovery Console. It will ask you to enter your Administator password so go ahead and do that. It will go ahead and load your C:\. Use help to find out how to copy a DLL file to your computer. My preferred method is this. Don't RISK messing with DLLs. When you boot your CD, go to "Install Windows" Then hit Repair Windows Installation or something along those lines. It will re-install windows and you will loose nothing. This will work. Good luck solider.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.