My PC is currently Windows XP with SP1.

Because of some recent problems I need to perform a Windows XP Repair.

I have just slipstreamed my original (non-SP1) Windows XP CD with SP2 so now I have a single, bootable Windows XP disk with SP2 integrated.

My question is this...

Can I use this slipstreamed CD to do the Windows repair?

Thanks,

Ian

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Yes, you should be able to repair with your slipstreamed installation CD, and in fact it would be better to use such a CD. Effecting a repair from the original CD would remove the Service Packs.

Be careful NOT to choose the option "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R" The repair is effected by choosing "To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER".

Yes, you should be able to repair with your slipstreamed installation CD, and in fact it would be better to use such a CD. Effecting a repair from the original CD would remove the Service Packs.

Be careful NOT to choose the option "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R" The repair is effected by choosing "To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER".

Thanks for this. I will give a try. Until I had a problem and thought about repairing I'd never heard of slipstreaming. I guess we learn more when things don't go as planned!!

I hope it works well for you. I've only read the theory, not done the job.

Be sure that you've suitably altered any encrypted files etc prior to doing the refresh install. If you don't unencrypt them you won't be able to access them afterwards ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.