If i boot XP normally and click Start>run>cmd> and type chkdsk /f

will that fix any errors or do i have to truly boot in dos mode first and run chkdsk /f.

also. i created a ms-dos via right click A: format and put a check mark on create ms-dos boot disc.

however when i boot to that disc i cannot run chkdsk. how can i create a DOS boot disc so that i can run chkdsk /f

thanks in advance for your help

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Here's how to check the integrity of the hard disk drive in Windows XP. After you install Windows XP, the Scandisk command is not available. Run this to see if you have problems before running chkdsk.
1.Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check.2.Click Properties, and then click Tools.3.Under Error-checking, click Check Now.4.Click Start.
Chkdsk is a very time consuming process, especially on large hard drives. Read this article to see if you really want to use the /F switch and what it will do.

also. i created a ms-dos via right click A: format and put a check mark on create ms-dos boot disc.

however when i boot to that disc i cannot run chkdsk. how can i create a DOS boot disc so that i can run chkdsk /f

When you choose to make a floppy bootable in the format process, only the essential core DOS system files (io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com) are copied to the floppy. Because chkdsk is a separate, "external" program, you have to copy chkdsk.exe to the floppy after you format it. The same holds true for other utility programs such as "fdisk" and "format".

When you choose to make a floppy bootable in the format process, only the essential core DOS system files (io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com) are copied to the floppy. Because chkdsk is a separate, "external" program, you have to copy chkdsk.exe to the floppy after you format it. The same holds true for other utility programs such as "fdisk" and "format".

how do i copy chkdsk to the floppy and how do i use it?

if you're making an fdisk/chksdisk disks i would recommend downloading them, (latest and greatest) and put them on different disks....however there a really cool free download somewhere called the ultimate boot disk, now this is a mean piece of kit! it has pratically any low level disk management utility under the sun! it has all the diff drive manufactures own utilities + modern fdisks, boot loaders, drive checkers, raid copiers, lan backupers you name it, it has it....

google.co.uk for it though tbh

to copy it accross just look in c:\windows for chkdsk.exe and literally copy 'n' paste it onto the disk... if you stick it in a folder such as a:\check\chkdsk.exe when you get into dos you have to type cd check or to go up to the layer above type cd. or .. for root, to run the exe type in the name of the exe and bob hopfully will be your uncle??

if you're making an fdisk/chksdisk disks i would recommend downloading them, (latest and greatest) and put them on different disks....however there a really cool free download somewhere called the ultimate boot disk, now this is a mean piece of kit! it has pratically any low level disk management utility under the sun! it has all the diff drive manufactures own utilities + modern fdisks, boot loaders, drive checkers, raid copiers, lan backupers you name it, it has it....

google.co.uk for it though tbh

I will have to look that up I have used Barts boot disk before, but this one seems to have some great tools.

I have always accessed chkdsk right from the command prompt. I'd type in the drive letter I want it to check and if I wanted to have it repaired

I'd type in chkdsk E:/r (for example) and instead of the 3 step process, it would do a 5 step process in that it checks the file data and the free space in addition to the partition, , file structures, indexes and security descriptors.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.