Just installed XP pro. Installation procedure all good, no trouble. I begin to log onto the internet and do other things when I receive the following message.
SHUTDOWN WAS INITIATED BY NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEMS
Windows must now restart because the RPC (Remote Procedure Call)service terminated unexpectedly.

A countdown of 1 minute starts and ultimately shuts down and re-starts my computer. Why does this happen and how can I stop it?
After re-boot the problem happens over and over again. help!
LOWTEC

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

caperjack,
YES YOU WERE CORRECT. WORM. THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE SOLUTION.
lowtec

All could have been prevented by running on an account with less perms. Read BIG "B's IE forum sticky in site feedback.

Just installed XP pro. Installation procedure all good, no trouble. I begin to log onto the internet and do other things when I receive the following message.
Windows must now restart because the RPC (Remote Procedure Call)service terminated unexpectedly.

A countdown of 1 minute starts and ultimately shuts down and re-starts my computer. Why does this happen and how can I stop it?
LOWTEC

Hai.

Im new to this forum.

Me to had the same problem after booting my system this error message was appear and after 1 minute my system was autometically shutdown. But now i dont have problem coz i had got the solution for this. Try this ok.

SOLUTION

To resolve this issue in Windows 2000 and XP you will need to perform the following steps:

• Change the settings for the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service in order to connect to the internet without the computer shutting down

Note: This does not work in every case.
To change these settings you will need to perform the following:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop or in the Start menu.
  2. Select Manage. The Computer Management window will open.
  3. In the left pane, double-click on Services and Applications.
  4. Select Services and a list of services should appear.
  5. In the right pane, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, it will have a Status of "Started".

Note: This will be the first in a listing of two Remote Procedure Call (RPS) services.

1. Right-click on the first Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service listed.
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Recovery tab.
  4. Using the drop-down lists, change First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures from Restart the Computer to Take No Action.
  5. Click on Apply and then OK.

CAUTION: Make sure that you change these settings back after completing the final step to remove the worm.

Please help

LOWTEC

windpw\system\services.exe terminated
shutdown by nt authority\system
it says code 1-

pc automatically restarts everytime turn it on, so all it does it cut off and on

I use XP. I followed the instructions to change the settings for the RPC service, but when I click PROPERTIES the RECOVERY TAB does not appear. How can get back the RECOVERY TAB?

Have same problem, followed the steps to change rpc recovery settings but everything is un-clickable(?) even though I am logged in as admin. Have also tried all sorts of other 'solutions' to this, although this seems to have the most relevance, so far these have not worked - turning off msn/windows messenger, switching off activex controls in internet explorer (also tried completely deleting explorer but it wouldnt let me), turning off automatic restart in computer>properties>advanced system settings, etc etc.

how to remove "generic host process for win32 services" virus. when i start a computer this error is coming. plz provide me a solution

I still have problem with the RCP. When i connect to the internet, download begins @ 200 kbps and since i use eset smart security 4 i check the network connections. And there i find this second svhost.exe process which has been exhaustng my free downloads. so when i try to stop the process, the dilog box appears which says "shutdown was initiated by .....Windows must now restart because the RPC (Remote Procedure Call)service terminated unexpectedly." so for temporary perposes i use the " temporarily deny communication for the process" option by eset. Please help me..
p/s i have already tried scanning the computer by the symantec for worms.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.