Hi,
I am trying to recover the data from my address book (Microsoft Outlook). The data is on a hard drive from an old computer (Dell Inspiron 4000 with Windows 2000 Pro) that would not boot up because of an explorer.exe problem. However I can access these files using the old hard drive as an external drive on my new computer (Dell X-1 runs Windows XP sp2).

How do I import my old address book to the new computer?

Wilson Lem

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You need to copy the application data from the old drive to the new.

Note you will need to be able to see hidden files. In My Computer, got to tools menu, folder options. Then the view tab. Scroll down till you see "Hidden files and folders" and select show hidden files and folders. Apply then OK.

Navigate to

(drive letter):\Documents and settings\(your user name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

Where drive letter represents the second hard drive. copy the contents to the same location where drive letter represents your new hard drive.

If I'm good at my job, that will restore your data, if I am not, let me know...

You need to copy the application data from the old drive to the new.

Note you will need to be able to see hidden files. In My Computer, got to tools menu, folder options. Then the view tab. Scroll down till you see "Hidden files and folders" and select show hidden files and folders. Apply then OK.

Navigate to

(drive letter):\Documents and settings\(your user name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

Where drive letter represents the second hard drive. copy the contents to the same location where drive letter represents your new hard drive.

If I'm good at my job, that will restore your data, if I am not, let me know...

MartyMcFly,
Thanks for your advice. It hit the nail on the head! I actually found the solution before your post as I was searching for this file but couldn't find it until I happen to revise the search to show hidden files - didn't know there was such a thing. Again, thanks a bunch!!
Wilson

Cool, glad you sorted it out, (and I'm not bad at my job!)

by mistake i deleat my address book from outlook express 6 but i dont have back up how do i recove it please help me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.