I have a pretty new Toshiba Satellite laptop. When I first go the thing I noticed that in the middle of me typing something on a text based document that the cursor would jump to some random position in the text document. This of course caused what I was typing to be in the wrong spot. Not the problems seems to be getting worse. When I type the "@", it also inserts a "|", along side it. Like this "|@". The worst part is, it's affecting my login screen, I have to use the num-lock pad just to login, and I can't login to one of my user names at all. When I click the letter for the password, it acts like I pressed TAB.
I thought this might just be a windows problem but it also happened when I tried to login to my ununtu linux user account. I read on a forum that this could be fixed by turning off num-lock in the bios. But I haven't found it yet, all I found was keyboard wake on/off. Please help, thanks for any and all replies.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

think its a bios bug. My lenovo laptop does the exact same thing sometimes.

Are you sure that you are not accidentally touching the glide pad with your thumbs [or similar] as you type?

It happens to me to and I find it really annoying [but my keyboard is NOT haunted/possessed]

Are you sure that you are not accidentally touching the glide pad with your thumbs [or similar] as you type?

It happens to me to and I find it really annoying [but my keyboard is NOT haunted/possessed]

Yes, I'M sure that's not it. Someone please help.

Go here and check out your machine....
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread27570.html
If still there do a SFC, Google it if you don't know how....

Bob. Read the post. it does it under both linux and windows. As i said, it seems to be some sort of hardware bug as ive seen it happen on a number of laptops under many OSes

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.