I have a question, how come in WindowsXP the Drive is H: that Windows7 is installed on, yet on Windows7 it decided to rename H: to C upon installing, I wanted to ask this weeks ago :)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have a question, how come in WindowsXP the Drive is H: that Windows7 is installed on, yet on Windows7 it decided to rename H: to C upon installing, I wanted to ask this weeks ago :)

H:\ isn't the common boot drive letter for winxp ,C: is ,as it is with most OS's you install ,so win7 was told to format and install so it did the normal thing and used the default drive letter c:\

H:\ isn't the common boot drive letter for winxp ,C: is ,as it is with most OS's you install

Well, not every OS. Windows, DOS and OS/2 are the only ones. Linux/Unix systems dont use that method of naming.

Oh, Windows7 decided to re-organize the driver letters as it sees fit.

Thats new news to me. Window 7 is doing lot many changes. And this time related to drive letters.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.