I am trying to use XP Pro's SMTP Server to send emails from my machine from ASP.
I have a permanent broadband connection via a Netgear wireless router/modem so I expect the email to just "go". I am using XP IIS 5.1 and SMTP is installed but I am baffled about confguring SMTP. I'm sure the problem is in this area.

Te SMTP service is running. It appears under IIS as Default SMTP Virtual Server with one domain (JOHN which is my computer name).

I have an ASP script using CDO.message to send an email. The email is "to" john@dressagediagrams.com (valid) and "from" mymail@xxx.com (just picked at random).
The email lands in the Queue folder, but does not get sent.
A couple of days later I looked in the Queue folder and the original email has disappeared but there are a couple of warning emails from Postmaster@JOHN to mymail@xxx.com saying the message has been delayed, and then one saying
"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.
john@dressagediagrams.com"

Any ideas?

I am trying to use XP Pro's SMTP Server to send emails from my machine from ASP.
I have a permanent broadband connection via a Netgear wireless router/modem so I expect the email to just "go". I am using XP IIS 5.1 and SMTP is installed but I am baffled about confguring SMTP. I'm sure the problem is in this area.

Te SMTP service is running. It appears under IIS as Default SMTP Virtual Server with one domain (JOHN which is my computer name).

I have an ASP script using CDO.message to send an email. The email is "to" john@dressagediagrams.com (valid) and "from" mymail@xxx.com (just picked at random).
The email lands in the Queue folder, but does not get sent.
A couple of days later I looked in the Queue folder and the original email has disappeared but there are a couple of warning emails from Postmaster@JOHN to mymail@xxx.com saying the message has been delayed, and then one saying
"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.
john@dressagediagrams.com"

Any ideas?

Hi,
I have the same problem too. My IIS tends to crash every time the message fails as well.
:confused:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.