Hi, I recently reinstalled Windows XP and only has a small amount of programs. However, this pop up keeps telling me to remove more programs and saying that the MB in my Drive C: has 30MB. And everytime it pops up, the MB number either goes up or down when i didn't change anything! It used to say 0MB, so i removed some programs but it stayed the same. In my remove/add programs file, it has a list of some Windows Hotfix programs but doesn't show the MB its using. SO i removed some of them( which i had to restart my computer for each) and now i'm left with 30MB. The minimum should be 200MB but should i continue to delete all of the Hotfixes? Can you tell me if Hotfixes are important? My cousin installed some useless programs too but he also mixed in some important ones to but now i don't know which program is important and useless! I think he installed the Hotfix because i never saw that before i reinstalled Windows XP. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

What is the total size of your hard drive please? Do you have a CD or DVD burner in your computer?

What is the total size of your hard drive please? Do you have a CD or DVD burner in your computer?

I'm not sure what my total harddrive is but I do have a CD burner.

I'm asking how big, in Gigabytes, your hard drive is. Open My Computer. Click on your hard drive. In the panel at bottom left see what is says for 'Total size'.

I'm asking how big, in Gigabytes, your hard drive is. Open My Computer. Click on your hard drive. In the panel at bottom left see what is says for 'Total size'.

Oh, sorry. It says 2.79GB

Then I would suggest you shortly uninstall Windows XP and revert to using the Windows version you had previously. Windows XP requires a hard drive of at least 11 Gigabytes in order to funtion adequately. It needs room for page files, temporary storage and other operating functions.

Running Windows XP on a system which only has such a small hard drive is leaving it no room to 'breathe'. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that hard drive is too small. It's a waste of time trying to free up space.

Edit: Of course, you could purchase a bigger hard drive ;)

Then I would suggest you shortly uninstall Windows XP and revert to using the Windows version you had previously. Windows XP requires a hard drive of at least 11 Gigabytes in order to funtion adequately. It needs room for page files, temporary storage and other operating functions.

Running Windows XP on a system which only has such a small hard drive is leaving it no room to 'breathe'. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that hard drive is too small. It's a waste of time trying to free up space.

Edit: Of course, you could purchase a bigger hard drive ;)

Oh, thank you so much. I had no idea. Well, than how do you purchase a hard drive? is it expensive? my computer is kinda old, maybe 7 or 8 years old.

Oh dear! That old?

You really should be using an earlier version of Windows on a PC that old. It isn't worth the effort and expense trying to upgrade it to suit Windows XP, becuase:

* the central 'heart' of the PC isn't powerful enough
* The computer would not correctly recognise a new hard drive anyway, because new hard drives are too big for it to 'see'.

Stick with the older version of Windows until you can afford to get a more recent and more powerful computer.

The hard disk is not too small. XP is too big. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.