Hello

Ok, i have a computer in my room, i also have an xbox 360.

My computer picks up my wireless connection from a hub in the hallway. I dont have a wireless card for my xbox so i tried to connect the ethernet from computer to xbox in hope that would work. I have searched for ages and ages for info but nothing works. I have bridged connections but once i do that the internet is lost even though the network is there.

I have tried setting up the old wireless router in my room hopein the router would pick up the wirless signal and pass it on to the xbox. that does not work.

Anyone got any ideas how i can make my xbox go on xbox live without an wireless adaptor and a long ethernet cable going half way through my house.

Please help!

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

To connect two ether net ports you either have to have a hub (or switch) or have a cross connect cable. Once you have that look into ICS (Internet connection sharing ) under windows for how to route the xbox through your wirerless.

are cross connect cables different from ethernet cables then? could you link me to a picture of a hub? would and old router not act as one?

thanks for your reply

An old router should work if you plug both into the LAN ports and not the WAN. For the cross connect cable try this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

so do i plug one ethernet into the router and the computer. one into the router and the xbox?

Correct. Did you look into internet connection sharing for the wireless port?

i think so. I think i set it up on the wireless connection but i think the xbox has a problem obtaining an ip address.

IF nothing else see what address is assigned to the ether net port on the windows system and give the xbox an address in the same range and if I remember correctly (no promise here) you make the gateway the IP of the ether net on the computer so it will route to it for the internet.

To connect two ether net ports you either have to have a hub (or switch) or have a cross connect cable. Once you have that look into ICS (Internet connection sharing ) under windows for how to route the xbox through your wirerless.

Incorrect. The XBox 360 does not require a crossover cable, only a standard ethernet cable (which should have been included).
Connect the cable between your Xbox's port and your PC's port, then enable ICS for your wireless connection, or bridge your wireless and ethernet connections. Should work just fine after that. Make sure your firewall/other security software is configured to allow your Xbox to connect to your PC.

Well after alot of trials and errors i decided it wouldint do anyharm getting a Crossover cable. The cable works. I now have Xbox live access but i have a stript NAT. I have opened ports on my BT home hub but i cant assign it to my xbox as the Hub only recognises the PC that the xbox is connected to. Assigning the port opening to the pc i thought would work but my nat is still strict. Any ideas anyone?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.