Hello, I'm a newbye in here and I would like to know how to run a command, when in a cmd.exe window in vista, without to go first in the directory where that command is located.

In other words, when I run cmd.exe it opens up in a default directory and some command cannot be run from there; only if I go to the directory where that command is located the command can run.

How that command may be run from any directory? I mean what have to be edit to get that please?

Cypherinfo.

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by cypherinfo

If you are trying to run program1.exe (example) located in d:\programdir you have to add d:\programdir to the path variable. You can do this by rightclicking on computer then properties -> advanced system settings -> advanced -> environment variables. Make sure that you separate it by the entry in front of it by a semicolon. Now you should be able to type program1 in cmd.

Edited by altuin: n/a

I'm not fully sure what you're looking for.

If you browse in Windows Explorer to the folder where the program you want to run is located, shift+right-click and choose Open Command Window Here. You then are in a command window at that folder.

If you want to be able to open a command window directly, and be somewhere other than your home folder ( Users\your_user_name), you can create a shortcut to cmd.exe and change the Start In folder location.

Or even more simply you can just click

Start->run->cmd (click enter). Then the command window will open. From there lets say you are in the directory C:\Users\Kyle. Typing "cd .\Documents" will take you to the C:\Users\Kyle\Documents directory.

Short answer: use the "cd" command to change directory.

Or even more simply you can just click

Start->run->cmd (click enter). Then the command window will open. From there lets say you are in the directory C:\Users\Kyle. Typing "cd .\Documents" will take you to the C:\Users\Kyle\Documents directory.

Short answer: use the "cd" command to change directory.

Thank you all. Great community here! :-) To tell the truth the solution to make global the command folder is the best one for me. The point is: how ever that folder: c:\windows\system32 was not in the path variable after the vista installation?

I mean, after an installation, by default it has to be there or not?

Cypherinfo.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.