I've had great luck with Windows7 thus far, but on one machine (running Home Premium) I can't get Windows Media Center to retain the default speaker setting. On the same machine, the Windows Media Player component does save this. I'm stumped how to make the same speaker set the default for everything. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

cant imagine why it would make a difference as media center only uses WMP[or your default player ] to play the music,is WMP set as your default media player device .
check default device to make sure

cant imagine why it would make a difference as media center only uses WMP[or your default player ] to play the music,is WMP set as your default media player device .
check default device to make sure

Tried that, without success. Also tried setting default to RealPlayer, rebooting, and changing back, rebooting, resetting each player to the speakers I want, rebooting, changing order of players addressed to reset speakers I want, rebooting, and trying again. Just doesn't seem to hold. That the Media Player is holding is what makes this so strange.

The gent who uses this machine needs Media Center for only some of his "entertainment", but it seems to keep appropriating the default once it is used from Media Player, which is what makes this problematic. There is no flag requesting permission to make the change, it just happens automagically.

go to control panel, select sound and check what the default set to speakers or line out are set to. try changing them
it will make no difference what the default player is

go to control panel, select sound and check what the default set to speakers or line out are set to. try changing them
it will make no difference what the default player is

Control panel changes do not affect the situation.

What is stumping me is that Media Center keeps "re-taking" the default and refusing to keep the default speakers for its use. Opening Media Player individually, etc. will use the correct settings. Defaults all show that Media Player should be primary.

is there any other sound card management software running. it may be worth checking the default settings this is using. you may have already tried but if not also completely removing the drivers and reinstalling from a fresh download

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.