I have windows xp and am having problems loading software of any kind. I can hear the whirring noise and the light blinks, but nothing loads. Can someone please help?

Thanks,
Mary

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Chaky

As in nothing happens when you insert a CD or DVD?

Have you tried running the software manually from CDs/DVDs?

Edited by Chaky: n/a

when i get to the part, "look at "nodrivetypeautorun", there nothing showing on the right.

There are several way to block autorun feature that I could pull from the top of my head:

- AV software - usually can be set to allow autorun CDs
- Group policy settings - bit hard to find.. can't remember which one exactly
- system (explorer) settings - that's one that you actually applied with that reg file

I'm afraid those aren't too easy to locate.

let me tell you how this all started. I sent my tower to the shop due to a virus and when it came back to me, i wasn't able to auto load anymore, and i also lost my some of my office; which i'm not able to load anyway because i no long have the cds.

Edited by maryliz: n/a

Try this:

- in "run" (start menu) type "GPEDIT.MSC"
- locate Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System
- locate "Turns off the Autoplay" and set it either to "disabled" or "not configured" (which is default)
- locate Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System and repeat the above step

Edited by Chaky: n/a

when i type in gpedit.msc, i don't see the other options mentioned above.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.