Using Toshiba Laptop
1 gig Ram
3 partitions on hard drive
installed:
XP Pro SP3
SuperAntiVirus
Norton's System works 6
combo fix, Hijack this,

recently: Combo fix installed as part of its procedure Windows restore point program; this is different i think from the restore point you will find in System Tools utility in Windows

The problem:

cant restore to any date using the system restore tool " statement - can't restore to this date; nothing has been changed" this happens no matter which date I choose.

Q. why is this happening?
who else is experiencing this using XP PRO SP3?
has any one got the solution to curing this?
please give step by step approach.

Regards
StayClean

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

combo fix it not a program to be used casually ,and i think it created a restore point ,not a program to be used to restore to a certain date!
it will install windows recovery console if that's what you mean!
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix#use

Yes u are right it did create recovery console, question is, why is the "restore my computer to a previous time feature" not working? it didnt work prior to combofix installation and the creation of a recovery console.

StayClean

Combofix removed all previous restore points by shutting off System Restore. If you right click My Computer/Properties/System Restore tab and uncheck Turn Off System Restore. Then you can save this date as a Restore Point.

Combo fix removed all previous restore points by shutting off System Restore. If you right click My Computer/Properties/System Restore tab and unchecked Turn Off System Restore. Then you can save this date as a Restore Point.

Thanks for the reply, I followed your suggestion and found that the check box was already unchecked, which would suggest that the restore utility was or should have been registering restoring dates; yes?.

But as I said in my original post; the "restore my computer to a date when it was working properly" is not working. any suggestions spike?

StayClean

Thanks for the reply, I followed your suggestion and found that the check box was already unchecked, which would suggest that the restore utility was or should have been registering restoring dates; yes?.

But as I said in my original post; the "restore my computer to a date when it was working properly" is not working. any suggestions spike?

StayClean

its likely you had/have virus or trojan that has disables all restore points !

caperjack,

If you're right in as much as the virus/trojan is able to put my "windows restore points" in the windows tools/utility section in a disabled status - it would stand to reason that, no further restore points would take place; yes? but, there are already availabe restore points in the restore points calendar. infact there are 5 restore computer point dates represented in BOLD 15th 17th 19th 21st of july that I have one by one chosen; but the report is the same for each one -"unable to rsstore your computer" "no changes have taken place" please chose another availabe date.
The date today is 28th Juy, since the 21st, there has been no bold restore dates made available; so your suggestion perhaps holds water. earlier I made reference to the fact that I had downloded Combofix.exe and installed it to the desktop as suggested by another subscriber in another computer blog site. Whist installing it, there was a request to install windows restore console (with all the erasons as to why I should noted) I complied with the request and so it established a dos command line that when booting up allows me to either normal boot or select the restore console; point is, when you select that option as far as I can tell; it only gives you dos command options to select from i.e. CHKDISK, CHKDIR, REM etc. so it doesnt seem to restore to another time.
If it is not a virus but the windows restore console that is the culprit; how does one test it without screwing up the computer even more?

Regards
StayClean

I may be wrong about a virus causing you problems ,it does happen ,as for combofix installing what you refer to as restore console ,its actually referred to as the recovery console ,in recovery console it is possible to do a restore of a computer that will not boot to normal or safe modes ,
http://www.icompute.info/System_restore_from_xp_cd.htm

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.