Greetings,

I recently installed the Windows XP update on to my computer and have had no problems up to now. I had to re-install Norton Antivirus and after I installed the program I ran the live update. Everything was working fine until I rebooted the machine. Now EVERYTHING from the main log-in screen to the start menu icons is all written in symbols. I can run the programs fine but everything associated with them including the toolbars is all written in the same "symbol" language. I tried to do a system restore with no luck, I tried un-installing Norton with no luck, I even tried changing the language settings in the control pannel but everything is written in the symbols mode. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? Thanks for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Try this, Right click on your desktop and select properties. Select the appearance tab at the top and then click advanced. you are now looking at advanced appearance select each item from the drop down menu and make sure each one that has a font accociated with it is set to Arial, size 8 colour black.

Hope this helps you

Ryan

Try this, Right click on your desktop and select properties. Select the appearance tab at the top and then click advanced. you are now looking at advanced appearance select each item from the drop down menu and make sure each one that has a font accociated with it is set to Arial, size 8 colour black.

Hope this helps you

Ryan

Ryan,

Thanks for your help, this has helped a bit but not everything. I can now read my icons on the desktop, but as far as the menus and start menus go, they are still all messed up. Do you know of a way to reset everything to anything other than "windigs" Thanks again!

try changing your system appearnce / style back to windows default

Yup yup.. I guess the changing the apperance may do your font problem a bit of good..

Changing the appearance did nothing..... I tried just about everything. Once I was able to get SOME of the writing back in English, thanks to Ryan, I was able to re-install the XP software. I haven't had any problems as of today, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and set a system restore point today in case of any potential problems. Thanks again Ryan for the help!

No problem I wasn't able to find any way to change the rest of it though bar one reference to changing it in Windows 98 needless to say it doesn't work on XP. I would guess there is a setting there somewhere but it may be a registry tweak which was where I was going to look next.

Glad you're sorted though

Ryan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.