I have a modem on an e-Machine that will not stay open. It will open the port, hear the dial tone and then just click off before it can dial the number.
The OS is ME

Also, I just recently did an update with the drivers from the Microsoft website.
Is there any way to correct this problem?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What modem? Have you tried installing the drivers provided by the modem manufacturer? How exactly are you dialing? Through Internet Explorer? Through Telephony?

It is important that we know about the Modem Brand... I guess everyone could help you from there..

Usually when I am testing the Modem... I'd go to the Dialer that is readily available on the Win9x Series I think it is also included in the ME version of Windows.

as usual, I have no clue as to what it is. I look at the properties and it says that the device is working fine. I will try re-installing the origional drivers and see what that will do.
CSGAL- It was working just fine until the last update that I did on it.
I want to be a good techie and give the computer back the way that it was.. I want to get paid.

If nothing else you can pull the card and look at the chipset then do a search from there, if your lucky it might have the make and model printed on the PCB. If you go into the Device manager and click on the modem it may show you some info on it, also if nothing is said there click on Driver Details and it may show the company name there.

I am not sure.. but if you mentioned that your Driver Was working fine before your last update.... Shouldn't there be a ROLLBACK command at the Device Property Settings.

as usual, I have no clue as to what it is. I look at the properties and it says that the device is working fine. I will try re-installing the origional drivers and see what that will do.
CSGAL- It was working just fine until the last update that I did on it.
I want to be a good techie and give the computer back the way that it was.. I want to get paid.

you don't know how to fix and or find out what modem is in the computer and you want To get PAID ,do you also do Heart Surgery on the side !LOL

No.. not heart.... only brain. Can't you tell I did my own... *DROOL*

Actually this is simple, ME has a rather vast driver base, you can try deleting the modem from "device Manager", and upon reboot the device will be redetected. Also if this is a name brand system like (Compaq) you can find out what modem is being used on thier website. If it is a custom system, open the case and do a web seach with the part # on the card.

Other modem tips:

Some name brands IE: (HP, DELL) have custom modems that will only work on a
specific address, say irq9 com 5.

You may also be in a situation where another device is using the com port you are
trying to assign to the modem.

There are too many variables to list...but I hope I have sent you off in the right direction.

The customer told me that she knew about the modem and didn't want me to fix it. She said that she was going to take it to a 'Professional' to install, yet she also wants me to put WINXP Home on her computer. I know... humans..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.