Hello,

I am carrying out computationalsi intensive calculations. Is it possible to have 100% of the processor power dedicated to this task. Normally, system idle process will take 15% - 20% of processor power which normally means the computation takes 1 hour longer.

It is very easy to set the task to high priority on Windows Task Manager but immediately Sysytem Idle Process kicks in after setting the compuational process to high.

If anybody could help this would be much appreciated.

Daniel Gandolfo

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You can start the application using the start command:

start /high notepad.exe

There are 5 priorities: /low, /belownormal, /normal, /high and /realtime. It's usually not adviced to use /realtime but you can always try of course.

Edit: Probably haven't read your message properly ;) The system idle process uses all processor power that's not used by windows or its applications. If the application only uses 80% of the CPU power it usually means that the CPU is not limiting the application but something else. It could be the way the application is coded. You cannot do much about it anyway, at least not that I'm aware of.

THanks for your reply.

I have tried resetting the priority. I t workds for a few seconds but soon system idle will take ~20% of CPU time.

THe problem must be in the registry or program itself.

Any ideas.

Daniel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried resetting the priority. It works for a few seconds but soon system idle will take ~20% of CPU time.

The problem must be in the registry or program itself.

Any ideas.

Daniel

The only thing you can do is to contact the company who wrote the software. I don't give yoy much change though. As said before, there is nothing you can do. If the application doesn't use 100% then it doesn't need the processor power ;)

An explanation can be that the application needs lots of memory access. As memory access is relatively slow, the processor has to wait till the memory access has finished.

I think JoetjeF is right-- you'll need to talk to the provider of the application. You wouldn't notice the difference between 80% utilisation and 99% utilisation, but you don't want your system to be unresponsive while your app runs. From the sounds of it, whoever programmed the application didn't perform correct optimization of their code, to effectively use processor time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.