arturogr 0 Newbie Poster

Hi, this is the case,

I have a Win 2003 server with scsi RAID controller; this server has a usefull special, not frecuently used application but the installer for this application are no longer available. Now the server (as a machine) is a waste, because it is only turned on only when the application is requiered (about 4 times a year and by 5 to 8 hours each time). Years before, this server was the core of a company organization, now it has no reason to exist, except for getting historical information.

The idea is to:

1) use the server for other purpouses using a new operating system installation.
2) be available to run the aplication when needed.

The idea I got is:

a) to do "GHOST image files" from the boot partition(unit C) and from the rest of the partitions of the server discs(unit D,E,F). Remember the units are scsi raid controlled.

b) restore the image files into a high capacity external USB hard disc (1 Terabyte for this case is good enough). The external USB hard disc has internally a SATA or IDE hard disk.

c) connect the USB disc in a computer=PC different to the server, this PC is able to boot from usb external devices, and use the application when needed. Of course I understand that the first time I succesfully boot from the USB disc, windows 2003 server will have some hardware conflicts and ask me for the controllers of the PC. But "maybe" this will be the less of the troubles to solve or that will be a new problem to solve and maybe to post here.

d) I will be able to use the server for other purpouses.

What have I done?

I) I did (a) using GHOST ver. 11.5.
II) I did (b) using GHOST ver. 11.5.
III) When trying (c) the PC does not boot: : after the BIOS POST of the PC, the screen gets black with the cursor at the top-left corner:

- I tried to change the "boot.ini" file of the restored boot partition of the windows 2003 operating system.
- I already activated the boot partition of the USB disk, but I get the same simptoms at booting.

I think I need some extra ideas to make it work. Certainly the "new tip" should become from the windows 2003 server.

Any ideas?

Redards.

Art.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.