After upgrading from 2000 Pro to XP Pro, it's random, but every 2nd or 3rd boot or so results in a black screen when starting Windows. The BIOS appears and everything, but once it starts Windows it's Black. I can hear the Windows StartUp Sounds, but no display at all. This is on TWO different laptops, two different manufacturers. After forcefully shutting down, and restarting, it's usually fine.

I have tried the following:

1) Lowering resolution
2) Lowering Colors From 65K to 256
3) Re-installing the video driver
4) Checking to make sure the other external monitor option is not causing the problem.

Whenever I start-up in Safe mode, it's fine. I really don't have any weird programs loading at start-up, so I don't think there's a conflict there... Any ideas on this crazy issue??
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

have you gone the video card makers website and checked for a new driver, or if you have go back to an older verision or generic Windows driver?

have you gone the video card makers website and checked for a new driver, or if you have go back to an older verision or generic Windows driver?

Yeah, definately, I gave that a try on one of the laptops, since it is a Dell, I got it off their website, but sadly no change.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.