What's up with this? I don't know, but recently this box has been appearing whenever i try to reboot. It gives me a box that tells me this dialog is ending and it gives me the option to end task, so even if i dont end task the result is the box says "not responding" so i end the task anyways. And after that my computer doesn't even restart in the end so I have to keep pressing the quick restart button on the tower itself. Can anyone help me get rid of this end program - dialog thing so I can reboot normally whenever I need to? Thankyou *sigh* :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

wow you guys are really helpful...

What's up with this? I don't know, but recently this box has been appearing whenever i try to reboot. It gives me a box that tells me this dialog is ending and it gives me the option to end task, so even if i dont end task the result is the box says "not responding" so i end the task anyways.

Some program is hanging up on close. It's hard to tell which one from your description. There are a variety of things that can cause this. Have you installed any new hardware or software recently? have you installed any new drivers lately? You may be hijacked or virus-infected. If you can give us more information...

Help us help you. Try pressing [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] to bring up the Task Manager and see if something is coming up as Not Responding. Try downloading and running HijackThis.

wow you guys are really helpful...

some of us WORK!!!:)

Well yes, hardware gets installed all the time on this computer. My digital camera was recently installed, my mom's IPod just got installed. Some others too like my Wacom Tablet, my minidisc player are also installed. I'm more concerned about this "hi-jacking" (ive never heard of a computer being hi-jacked) and that if this was a virus or a trojan. The Norton AV subscription just got expired and my dad hasn't got around to renewing it. So I don't know what to do if it's a virus. Housecall ain't gonna cut it this time.

If that still isn't enough information i'm going to see how this happens on reboot and maybe take a screen capture or two. Thankyou :) I really want to get this off my comp.

The Norton AV subscription just got expired and my dad hasn't got around to renewing it. So I don't know what to do if it's a virus.

You can download the free version of Grisoft AVG -- it's better than Norton, anyway (much less of a resource hog).

Note the common thread to all the devices you recently installed: tablet, IPod, digicam -- they are all I/O oriented devices. This is one of the most likely classes of hardware to cause this kind of problem at shutdown. It is important to make sure that you have the most up-to-date drivers possible for all these items.

Thankyou so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I'll download that right now. Damn i hope this thing goes away.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.