I've trying to move over my Office Xp Outlook Express .wab file to Office 2010 Outlook. I've been successful in bringing over the .pst file with a few minor glitches like the Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items and Deleted Items showing up under Personal Folders. I sure would like to delete them as they are no longer needed. My current problem is getting my address book into Outlook's Contacts. I just don't see in Outlooks Import tool a place where it asks for a .wab or a .pab file. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Speedy

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I just don't see in Outlooks Import tool a place where it asks for a .wab or a .pab file. Am I missing something?

Have you looked at this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286116

How to drag address information to Outlook
It is possible to drag individual or groups of Windows Address Book entries to Outlook. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the Start menu, point to Find, and then click Files And Folders.
2. In the Open box, type .wab, and then click OK.
3. Double-click the Windows Address Book file from which you want to move addresses.
4. Start Outlook if it is not already running.
5. Resize Outlook so that the Windows Address Book and Outlook are visible next to each other on the screen. Verify that the Outlook Contacts folder is visible in the resized Outlook window.
6. Select an entry from the Windows Address Book. Drag it to the Contacts folder. A new Outlook Contact form is created with the information from the Windows Address Book entry. Click Save and close.

PP:)

I guess this implies that you have both applications on the same machine. One machine has Outlook Express and the hew machine has Outlook. I've also tried the VCard export from OE but it will only take one entry at a time. I see where PCVARE offers a utility called WAB Exporter for $39.00 but you would think that Microsoft would have addressed this problem long ago.

Any other thoughts short of installing Outlook on my old machine and then doing an upgrade, then copying the new Contacts file over to my new machine?

Thanks,
Speedy

Any other thoughts short of installing Outlook on my old machine and then doing an upgrade, then copying the new Contacts file over to my new machine?

Sorry, I didn't think about two computers. You'd think there'd be an easy way to do this, but it is M$ after all . . .

Perhaps you could use a flash drive or cd to transfer to new compy. Similar to this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6002724_do-outlook-express-windows-mail_.html

You could probably export to .csv and put that on pen drive and go from there.....

Cheers :)
PP

Thanks for your reply. That's what I did, I exported my address book into a CSV file, used the pen drive and imported it into the Suggested Contacts folder. And it worked! I've copied some of the entries from the Suggested Contacts into Contacts and it comes up wnen you click on Address Book. When you create a new mail message and click To button the Contacts come up perfectly.

My only problem I have now is I have my old inbox, drafts, sent items and deleted items folders under the Personal Folder at the top. I can't delete them through the GUI but I hope I can find where they reside and then I'll try to zap them there.

Thanks,
Speedy

Thanks for your reply.
My only problem I have now is I have my old inbox, drafts, sent items and deleted items folders under the Personal Folder at the top. I can't delete them through the GUI but I hope I can find where they reside and then I'll try to zap them there.

Happy to help :)

I don't know if you can delete those without causing problems, but you could probably drill down and give it a try.
On my XP box, they are here:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\- long string of numbers - \Microsoft\Outlook Express

Cheers,
PP

Thanks, I'll give it a try. See ya.

You can export a sub folder from outlook express as a .csv This will allow outlook 2010 to import your file.

Create a new identity in Express. This will give you a blank address book. In your old address book (original identity), open the sub folder you wish to export. Highlight the entire contents of your sub folder. Right mouse click and copy. Go to your new identity mouse over the blank contacts page (where addresses would be if you already had entries) right mouse click and paste. Do not export from inside the address book, address book apparently is its own software and will only export a wab. Go to the main outlook express (new identity), and use export from the pull down file menu. Select .csv and export. Then import this file into Outlook 2010 into its own folder... yes whew... This is another reason people spend money on apple products.

You can export a sub folder from outlook express as a .csv This will allow outlook 2010 to import your file.

Create a new identity in Express. This will give you a blank address book. In your old address book (original identity), open the sub folder you wish to export. Highlight the entire contents of your sub folder. Right mouse click and copy. Go to your new identity mouse over the blank contacts page (where addresses would be if you already had entries) right mouse click and paste. Do not export from inside the address book, address book apparently is its own software and will only export a wab. Go to the main outlook express (new identity), and use export from the pull down file menu. Select .csv and export. Then import this file into Outlook 2010 into its own folder... yes whew... This is another reason people spend money on apple products.

all that just to make a mac jab

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.