Over the weekend my Dell Inspiron 530 started to shut down randomly and had trouble restarting. Sometimes the discs spin up, I get to the user login screen, and windows fails to load. AVG had identified and cleaned a Confiker variant (don't recall which), and I had moved the monitor while rearranging my work space such that it pulled the PC sideways a few inches. Those are the only things out of the ordinary that I have noticed. Running the Vista Home Premium it came with, sp2 and up-to-date on everything microsoft has told me I need to update.
- restored to an earlier point
- booted from Windows CD and run repair
- booted in safe mode and run AVG
- booted to command prompt and run chkdsk/r
- booted from Hiren's boot cd and run several diagnostic and repair utilities
- downloaded (on the laptop) Glary RR, loaded and ran it - it found and fixed 130+ issues
- tried to run windows safety scanner, but computer shuts down before it can finish
- bitched and moaned just an incredible amount
This is my work computer and it is loaded with work in documents and Autocad files. I have run backups religiously, last successful backup on 01/03/2011. Now system doesn't recognize my backup drive and wants me to reformat it.
I humbly ask for assistance. I'm out of my depth here.