Hello everyone:
I have used ME for several years now, and up until a few days ago, had no major problems on my Viao PC. However, I now get a message as Win ME is loading that "Explorer has caused an error in D3DBE.DLL. and explorer will now close." I can move the error window off the screen and it will eventually disappear if I ignore it. I have searched both the C: and the Registry for "D3DBE" but have not found any such file. Has anyone ever run across this? I have also downloaded and run several anti virus progs (CWShredder, Hijackthis, etc.) and run Housecall, all of which found various files to delete, but this error message keeps popping up.
Furthermore, if i hit Start-Programs-Accessories, my PC freezes and will not respond. If I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, it will say
"Explorer (not responding)". If I end task, explorer shuts down, but PC remains frozen.
I know this is involved, but any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanx,
Steve:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Post a fresh hijackthis log ,don't fix anything with it yet !:)

Hello everyone:
I have used ME for several years now, and up until a few days ago, had no major problems on my Viao PC. However, I now get a message as Win ME is loading that "Explorer has caused an error in D3DBE.DLL. and explorer will now close."

D3DBE.DLL is part of DirectX/Direct3D -- it's embedded, so it never shows up as a separate file. Try running DXDiag from the Start menu's Run box or a command-line interface and see what it reports. If it hangs up then, try downloading and installing the most up-to-date version, DirectX 9.0b, from the Microsoft web site.

I agree with TallCool1. I have a Viao Laptop w/ME and I had the same problem that you are having now. Just go to the Windows Update site and get all CRITICAL updates that you need.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.