Member Avatar for Amoryethel

Hi, I have a 32-bit operating system of Vista Home Premium, with 3 GB of RAM, and a processor running at 2 GHz. I have passed the system requirements from Windows Upgrade Advisor. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, but I'm having a difficult time deciding which OS to choose from in Windows 7 Professional. Windows 7 Professional (x86) or Windows 7 Professional (x64)? It's a bit embarrassing, but I'm afraid I don't know the difference between the two. I would be grateful if someone could explain it to me. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The 32bit version will work on sytems with 32bit and 64bit CPU's. The 64bit version will only work on a system with a 64bit CPU.

Do you know what type of CPU you have?

Hi

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (or say CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system.

64 bit windows has improved performance and reliability, enhanced security, and an unprecedented level of compatibility.

Now if we look towards system specifications then a PC having 4GB (or more) RAM and atleast 2.5 GHz (or more) of processor have a good output in x64 bit windows.

Although we can use x64 bit in your system also but the performance will not be upto the mark.

So in this case a 32 BitWindows is recommended.

The 32bit version will work on sytems with 32bit and 64bit CPU's. The 64bit version will only work on a system with a 64bit CPU.

Do you know what type of CPU you have?

AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 2.00 GHz

That is a 64bit CPU so you can use either 32bit or 64bit windows 7! I am using windows 7 Ultimate 64bit right now and I have to say I really like it!

I presume the 64-bit OS is Windows 7 Professional (x64) and the 32-bit OS is Windows 7 Professional (x86)?

You presume correctly!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.