Have seen some articles on running windows server from a USB drive. Some of the articles are not as precise as one would want. I ask the following:

1- Can Advanced server 2000 or server 2003 be run from a USB drive
2- Is there good documentation on the steps to do so

Guidance sought

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Seten

Hey mnewsome,

Are you going after a portable OS? If so I have not seen anything by MS like that. If you are not looking for a portable os, you could run a virtual machine off a USB drive. I currently use virtualbox made by oracle it is free and is a great application and has been rock solid for me.

I would try bartPE. Microsoft doesn't support this so you will not find anything from them. You can find a lot of things for it, but mostly they are "Read" only bootable images. It is because there is a problem with USB<->OS during booting. Something about disablig USB, which basically kill booting. I tested a while a Vista booting from usb, which worked (not read only image). So try higher version of Windows, it could have been fixed...

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.