:!: Ok....Windows XP SP2 ....when you try to open a folder it immediately goes to the search for files window. It doesn't matter how you go about it...same result. What could cause it and how do you fix it?

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by just_a_nobody

The first thing I would do is scan for virus and spyware. Then if that didn't solve it, check disk for errors, then do a defrag, if those fail to solve, then do a restore.

If those fail try this: Go to Start/Run, and type in "cmd" (without quotes), then when the command screen comes up type in "sfc /scannow."(no quotes) leaving a space between SFC and /.

If those fail try this: Go to Start/Run, and type in "cmd" (without quotes), then when the command screen comes up type in "sfc /scannow."(no quotes) leaving a space between SFC and /.

SFC will check your files for errors and use the i386 file to replace any bad or corrupted system files.

I can try that...but to be honest with you, I think it's a setting that needs to be changed.

What has been done so far is as follows:
Ck Disk recovery
SFC no change from that (I wasn't aware that had been done)

Basically what happens is, when you go to My Computer, click on C-Drive, any folders withing that drive cannot be opened with double-click. It immediately goes to the Search For Files window. If you R-click on the folder, the only thing highlighted is Search.

Ok, let's start from the beginning. You did do a restore, before you noticed this problem? What problem were you having that made you decide to do a restore? You did not say whether, or not, you did scan for virus and spyware. A restore may not get rid of a virus, if the virus is saved in the restore files.

About 10 days ago the hard drive was completely reformatted. Since that time, the only thing that has been installed is an HP 2200 Multifunction and a Kodak update. The C drive opens and any icons on the desktop. File folders, no. It's not a virus or spyware issue. Norton has been updated and run. Ran Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search and Destroy and MS Antispyware..all with updates. Nothing. A head scratcher...

Thanks...I'll take a stab at this and let you know what happens. Appreciate your help and response.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.