Hello, I'd like to asked you how to enable the windows "popup menu" that is normally launched when the USB, DVD or CD device is inserted because I've had it disabled for about 5 months and I've decided to change it! I think that Kaspersky IS disabled autorun at USB device (during security check it found some like worm "autorun.inf"). I found a lot of articles like "How to disabled autostart in windows XP" where i'd have to change some values in regedit editor or in gpedit.msc - I tried it vice versa in regedit where I have a DWORD of autorun in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES/..../services/cdrom set on "1", but I want to also autostart of USB and DVD turn back.
How can I get it enabled?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

It would help if you told us what version of windows you are using!!!

caperjack: (correct estimate - I have been writing about Windows xp)I try to use the program from Microsoft from your link but it hasn't worked as I have imagened. It is for repairing of bad settings of the external device's autorun. I need that windows after connect some external device (or insert CD, DVD) will display something like popup window where will propose what I 'll be able to do with it. For example if I'll insert CD with some photos I 'll decide if I'd want to view them as a photo's presentation or open it in folder or without any action - that only close this dialog. Are we understanding each other now?

ok ,now i get it ,try this, go to mycomputer and right click on the cd rom icon go/ properties /auto play ,an choose media type from the drop down/check the radio button for what you want each type of media to do .

if you intentionally used a third party program to stop this action ,you may need to use it to change it back

My default state has been >>Always ask for a selection event<< and I've ticked in >>choose an action that you want to implement<< >>open folder and display files by explorer of windows<< and constantly never been happening after insert CD or DVD.

sorry ,that is the only two suggestions i have for you

What happens if you type "gpedit.msc" in the Run box? If the gpedit console comes up then you should be able to set the Autoplay parameters by expanding

Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Windows Components

then double clicking on "AutoPlay Policies"

In the right panel, double click on Turn Off Autoplay and disable it

However it was in subfolder >>System<< (not Windows components how you wrote) and I've disabled it and only one thing that happened if I insert USB device - Kaspersky IS found autorun.inf and mentioned "popup window" of what I want to do didn't display. (By the way: when I inserted the USB device second time, never happened not even check-up Kaspersky IS).

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Please check 'Shell Hardware Detection' service is enable or not by right clicking My computer > Manage > Services.

I tried it but I've never found any service like that (for check-up (local translates) right click on My computer/manage/services and applications/services) - only recognition of hardware (it is setting on enabled (of course, because without it I wouldn't be able to open root of any external device through explorer of windows)). What do I do in correct or where is the service Shell Hardware Detection, please?

I didn't find it there (right click on My computer/manage/services and applications/services) but only similar item was hardware recognition set on enable (of course, because otherwise I can't view content of root of connecting device).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.