Hey everyone. My exact problem is that when i use my computer everything is fine, if i use it for hours on end its fine. But when i leave it alone for about 4 to 5 hours or something without doing anything(being afk) then it will freeze but i can move the mouse but once i go to click on something it won't open like the start button or a program or whatever. I've tried to defragment both hard drives, i've ran scan disk as well as virus scanning, spyware scanning and registry cleaning and fixes and i use the new system mechanic. which takes care of alot of problems. Before i had system mechanic btw this problem was happening also so it can't be something that it changed or whatever. I tried everything. When i looked at the memory mechanic that is built into the system mechanic program, it shows that i only have about like 34mb of ram left, when i first start up my computer and go to the desktop and check it, its about like 500mb or something like that. I don't understand whats going on, anyone have a clue what i could do? Thanks in advance
-Gabriel a.k.a. phasmx :-|

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

When i looked at the memory mechanic that is built into the system mechanic program, it shows that i only have about like 34mb of ram left, when i first start up my computer and go to the desktop and check it, its about like 500mb or something like that. I don't understand whats going on, anyone have a clue what i could do?

It sounds like some program or process is slowly gobbling up your free memory, but there can be many different causes for that. Please do the following to see if you can identify a possible suspect:

- Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and click Task Manager in the resulting window.

- Click on the "Processes" tab and then put a check in the "show processes from all users" box at the bottom of the Processes window.

- Click on the "Mem usage" header at the top of the list of running processes to sort the processes by memory usage, highest to lowest.

- Monitor that list to see if you can spot a program/process whose memory usage gradually increases over time. Give us the name of the process if you find it.

It sounds like some program or process is slowly gobbling up your free memory, but there can be many different causes for that. Please do the following to see if you can identify a possible suspect:

- Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and click Task Manager in the resulting window.

- Click on the "Processes" tab and then put a check in the "show processes from all users" box at the bottom of the Processes window.

- Click on the "Mem usage" header at the top of the list of running processes to sort the processes by memory usage, highest to lowest.

- Monitor that list to see if you can spot a program/process whose memory usage gradually increases over time. Give us the name of the process if you find it.

I've went into task manager and checked out what is taking up alot of the memory, it looks like firefox the browser takes up alot of memory but it doesn't have a memory leak or anything, and explorer.exe which im guessing is the gui of windows right? thats using up alot of memory also, but other than that it was spysweeper the spyware detection program that was taking up alot of memory and looks like it was suspiciously not working correctly, but i uninstalled that. But even when i went into safe mode and did a virus scan with mcafee it worked fine but when i left it scanning in safe mode, left my computer came back a few hours later, it was froze just like i was in my desktop regularly. Is there any diagnostic hardware program that you guys know of that i can run to detect if it is a hardware problem?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.