I shut down my computer and now when i try to start it, it would say:
Invalid boot.ini files
Booting from C:\Windows
Then the computer would just reboot itself and goes through the process over and over again.
I have window xp home edition and the computer was bought like this so i dont have a window xp cd, how could i fixed this problem?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Try booting into "Safe Mode" or "Last known good configuration" and let us know if one of those modes works. If so, you can then check your boot.ini file (as per nanosani's link) from there.

You get to the menu which displays both boot options by continuously tapping the F8 key just as your computer is starting up.

I already try to boot in safe mode or last good configuration and all it did was restarted and do the same thing over and over again. I also created window xp home edition xp boot floppy disk and follow all the step from here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184 but then it would still do the same thing but this time it doesnt show the invalid boot.ini file, it would just restarted itself over and over again.

anyone else got any idea, i dont know what to do

Go into the Recovery Console again and run the following commands:

chkdsk /r

sfc /scannow

These commands will first scan your harddrive for errors and attempt to fix them followed by replacing incorrect protected system files with the proper ones. Hopefully this will fix your problem, but more than likely, you will have to reinstall Windows. Let us know the results of running these commands.

Well, when i enter chkdsk /r in the recovery. It say that AUTOCHK.EXE could not be located in either the startup directory or the CDROM drive, Then it ask to type the full path (including drive letter) for the location of Autochk.exe.

Im not sure if the computer come with a Windows Xp CD, but there it a sticker for the CD Keys. Is there anyway i can contact someone and get a window xp cd?

The standard location for autochk.exe is "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\autochk.exe". Try giving it that location and see if it works.

The 100% legal method that Microsoft would want you to use is to use your system recovery disk that came with your computer or get recovery or install disks from the manufacturer of your system. Since you did not buy that copy of Windows directly from Microsoft, they won't even sell you a replacement disk.

I tried finding out the legality of what I am about to say, but this wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Anyways... here we go. Borrow a Windows XP Home Edition disk from a friend or have them burn a copy for you. From everything I've read on the Microsoft site, the legality concerning installing a system from duplicates was related to the legitimacy of the individual key and not the disk itself. Their site gave detailed instructions in numerous instances where a copied setup disk could be used on multiple systems. Since you have a legitimate unique key that you can show as purchased and owned by you, there shouldn't be any reasonable argument against you using or acquiring a disk to enable you to utilize that key. This is a really murky area however, so make of it what you will.

Okay, so i put the location of the file in and it scan for awhile. It just finished scanning, what shou;d i do after it finished scanning?

'Right click My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery setttings/Edit

the boot ini should be -

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

"if you find it empty then Just copy everything to your Boot.ini file then save it and close.
Try rebooting and see if that helps. I hope it will work.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.