I instaled Adobe reader 10 in my Laptop and the next thing I saw ia that it took over all my desktop icons ,any thing that I click it try to open with Adobe reader and ask me to associate Adobe reader with a programe before it can work, even my fire fox transformed to Adobe reader 10, I reinstalled it and installed version 9 but still no solution, and I know that under normal situation I dont have to configure any thing before Adobe could take responsiblites, please help me , what is wrong?

Samson Jerry.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Hi Samson

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs and from there you can reset which program will open which file type.

Regards

LJ

wat if ..its a virus..ve you thout about it in that angle? then i think using control panel il nt help then u make u default programe vlc..thn every icon changes to vlc..ve encounterd that problem b.4..bt jst try wat he says or..try scanning or re-install os...

When you open a word document file does it open with adobe instead of word. If that is the case your default porgram is change you can follow lijdellar advice. If it does not work, uninstall adobe and see whether that solve your problem. Good luck

I would suggest to uninstall it and clear the registry. Also if the need be, rebuild the icon cache as well

commented: Thanks for your hard work in daniweb. See you around +9

Hi every one with this community, I am sorry I was away for some time due to my school activities.
I have to thank every one that contributed in finding a solution to the problem that I presented weeks back( Adobe leader Problem)
I applied all the advice that you gave me but there was no improvement, the last solution was that I installed another PDF leader known as (Sumata pdf) and is working well till now without any configuration as Adobe leader was demanding,.
My computer is protected with a very good antivirus so there was no virus as solve member asked to know,
Thank you all, I am proud of you about your effort to help me out, long life the community l0ng life Daniweb forum.
Samson Jerry

hello
dear samsnov,

>> I have face with this problem like you so many times. As for me, first time is VLC icon take all of desktop icon and then MS word, Windows Media Center, Acrobat... so many..
>>This is not virus. You are right.
Ways of solving various problems, icons change...

>> 1. Uninstalling that software is a way of Solving this problem. But if u install that Software again it will happen like that before.

>> 2. If media file icon change..For me.. Windows Media Center icon take place all over...I install SPlayer and Restart my computer. Every icon is in their Original state. Because after installing SPlayer it ask " to use it as default player " i check that box. In this way i solve that problem. Don't forget to Restart PC after install Splayer.

>> 3. For adobe acrobat icon.... i install SPlayer and then i ....Right Click on the Acrobat icon and Choose Open With...And then choose SPlayer and click OK.
Then Restart PC...After that All icon will change SPlayer...
Finally Uninstall Splayer...and Restart the PC...
In this way u can also solve the problem..But u can't Install Splayer again.

>>4. What icon change i can;t remember excatly... But it solve the problem.....i use this registry key to change Icon to its Original State...
>>>>1. Copy below...from Windows Registry......to......."exefile"=hex(0):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]

"exefile"=hex(0):

2....Open Notepad and Paste it.....
3....Save it on the desktop and Give file name as you like name.reg and Click save (Remember .reg) Ok
4.....Go Desktop and Click on that name.reg And Yes>>Yes>>Ok>> Restart PC
5.....Every Icon is in order and its Original State....

Good to hear your problem is solved. Thank you for your good wishes. Long live daniweb. So now you will be using Sumata pdf

thank you te problem has been solved

Whenever Adobe is downloaded tyhe icons on the desktop change to adobe icon but the programs associated with it does not open ,once adobe is uninstalled the problem goes away.

Try removing these keys from registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Reader

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Adobe Reader
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Repair\Adobe Reader
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe Systems\Common Install\Shared Service\B2E57000

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\68AB67CA3301B7447A50000000000020
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\68AB67CA3301B7447A50000000000020
Once done restart and download adobe again

Its a virus buddy, you probably downloaded from a 3rd party provider and hence got infected try a AV scan from Kaspersky or Nod 32 !

I instaled Adobe reader 9 in my hp Laptop and the next thing I saw is that it took over all my desktop icons ,any thing that I click it try to open with Adobe reader and ask me to associate Adobe reader with a programe before it can work, even my fire fox transformed to Adobe reader 9, I istalling other versions but still no solution, and I know that under normal situation I dont have to configure any thing before Adobe could take responsiblities, please help me , what is wrong? and what am i suppose to do because tried setting default programs but it remains same. It keep saying i should install a program associated to it which i know nothing about

i really have a problem with my desktop icons all changing when you have to open a program with ''open with''.i've tried all suggestions yet nothing to work;control panel/all control panel items/default programs.
please i need any possible help from you brilliant guys.

I have the same problem and it is a brand new machine and the only software I installed was microsoft office and then this adobe program. It cannot be a virus unless it is in the adobe software.

Follow Jimluckett's provided Adobe Support link above for the answer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.