Hi,

Got new computer but I can't read my old .doc files. (w98). On starting up, it "configured" , or let me select language, etc. Nothing works, messed up text then readable further down the page. Any ideas? Thanks, L-D

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,

Got new computer but I can't read my old .doc files. (w98). On starting up, it "configured" , or let me select language, etc. Nothing works, messed up text then readable further down the page. Any ideas? Thanks, L-D

Hi and welcome to DaniWeb.

What program are you trying to use to open them? Word, open office, wordpad,notepad ect. This will help us determine the problem.

Hi and welcome to DaniWeb.

What program are you trying to use to open them? Word, open office, wordpad,notepad ect. This will help us determine the problem.

Hi!!

Word (2003) has a window come up that says...

File Conversion - (filename)

Select the encoding that makes your document readable.

(radio button) Windows (default) (radio button) MS-DOS (radio button) Other encoding

There is a small dropdown list on the right with languages, os. Can only make choices when Other encoding is selected. Others faded.

Below is a preview window with the doc text. Then OK Cancel / buttons.

Nothing seems to work. Saving as a text file didn't work.

Thanks. L-D

What exact version of Word were the old documents create with?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.