Hi,

Got new computer but I can't read my old .doc files. (w98). On starting up, it "configured" , or let me select language, etc. Nothing works, messed up text then readable further down the page. Any ideas? Thanks, L-D

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by DMR

Hi,

Got new computer but I can't read my old .doc files. (w98). On starting up, it "configured" , or let me select language, etc. Nothing works, messed up text then readable further down the page. Any ideas? Thanks, L-D

Hi and welcome to DaniWeb.

What program are you trying to use to open them? Word, open office, wordpad,notepad ect. This will help us determine the problem.

Hi and welcome to DaniWeb.

What program are you trying to use to open them? Word, open office, wordpad,notepad ect. This will help us determine the problem.

Hi!!

Word (2003) has a window come up that says...

File Conversion - (filename)

Select the encoding that makes your document readable.

(radio button) Windows (default) (radio button) MS-DOS (radio button) Other encoding

There is a small dropdown list on the right with languages, os. Can only make choices when Other encoding is selected. Others faded.

Below is a preview window with the doc text. Then OK Cancel / buttons.

Nothing seems to work. Saving as a text file didn't work.

Thanks. L-D

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.