I have downloaded Windows XP-KB936929--SP3-X86. My Desktop Board is Classic Series DG33FB for Intel Core 2 Quad and Intel Core 2 Duo Processors. Is this XP perfect for my PC? What does "X86 mean"?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

x86 means that your computer supports/is a 32 bit operating system and can only access 3GB (maximum)of memory effectively; x64 means... yes, 64 bits (supports a 64 or 32 bit OS and can access memory 3GB and more, etc., etc...)

x86 means that your computer supports/is a 32 bit operating system and can only access 3GB (maximum)of memory effectively; x64 means... yes, 64 bits (supports a 64 or 32 bit OS and can access memory 3GB and more, etc., etc...)

I have a Laptop with windows 7 Original(64 bit). I have installed a software - ActiveState Komodo for Web development which is marked as X86. Is it harmfull for my Laptop?
Please reply.

If you have the RAM (min. 1GB) it will run fine on a 64 bit platform...

If you have the RAM (min. 1GB) it will run fine on a 64 bit platform...

I have 4 GB RAM.

rule of thumb ,32bit programs [most if not all ]will run on both 32bit and 64bit computers ,but 64bit will not install on a 32bit computer

and just to make a point !
http://tinyurl.com/3stebmc
answers that make perfect sense

Ok . Thank you all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.