Hey everyone . .

Who knows what th CVm.exe file is? isn't it a Windows System file? I seem to be missing this file in my System32 folder. I get a "CVm.exe Application Failed" at bootoff. I see this file in my registry . . and when i attempt to remove it, it comes back.

any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have a fresh install of XP home, and I don't have that file. I'm not 100% sure if it's crudware or not, because I get conflicting results from google, but I know that it's not on my XP home box (fresh install), and if it keeps adding itself into your registry, it sounds like malware.

how do i remove it?

if you removed it from the registry yourself, and it's STILL adding itself back in, then there is another exe or program that is putting back in there. If it is malware, I'm not deeply experienced with it, like DMR or some of the other HJT (Hijack This) Guru's. I'm sure if you post a HJT log (download it from the link, install and run it, then copy and paste the hijack this results to the post) [or a new post in the viruses spyware and other nasties section: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum64.html) and someone there will likely be able to sift through the HJT log and walk you through steps on fixing it. Also, I'm not 100% sure that it is Malware, it could be part of a program that you use, and the program needs that other program to help it with it's functionality, and when you run the program, it adds it back in to the registry, but I don't know for sure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.